Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability of N or more from uniform distribution

1. Feb 3, 2009 #1
    If I have N objects uniformly placed at random in a 1-d box of length b, how do I calculate the probability of finding one or more objects in a given length?

Here's what I mean:

I assume a uniform probability density of 1/b, that is, P = 1/b for 0<x<b and P = 0 everywhere else. I now place N objects into this region, according to that distribution. Thus I have a distribution of objects given by N/b for 0<x<b and zero everywhere else.

This seems to make sense, i.e. my total probability is 1, then total expected number of object in the box is N, and I can calculate the expected number in any segment of length a within the box as a*N/b.

What I am having trouble with is expressing the probability that I will find at least one object in a segment of length a. If a=b, then I'd better get 1 as my answer, but I haven't come up with the correct expression.

I guess I could also ask for the probability of finding n>=2, n>=3, ... n=N, as well, each of which should approach 1 as the length approaches b.

This feels like a pretty elementary question - is it?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2009 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The usual way to get an answer to the probability of at least 1 item is to find the probability of 0 items and subtract from 1. In your case the probability that a given object will not appear in an interval of length a is (b-a)/b. Therefore the probability that all n will not appear in the interval is [(b-a)/b]n. So the probability that at least 1 will be in the interval is 1-[(b-a)/b]n.

4. Feb 3, 2009 #3
    Thank you! That's very helpful.

Now maybe I can apply that to my real problem, which is to calculate the probability of collision between an object of a given cross-sectional area and one or more particles that are distributed uniformly in a given volume, through which the object is passing. I think this should just be a matter of extending the 1-d lengths to 3-d volumes, yes?

If the object sweeps through a volume v, then the probability of any one particle not being in that volume is (V-v)/V (where V = total volume containing particles). The probability that none of the N particles is in the volume v is [(V-v)/V]N, so the probability that at least one particle is in volume v is 1 - [(V-v)/V]N.

Did I get that right?

5. Feb 4, 2009 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes. All thats needed is independent uniformly distributed random variables. Dimension of the space is irrelevant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?