Probability per atom and per second for stimulated emission to occur

Homework Statement

We are investigating hydrogen in a plasma with the temperature 4500 ºC. Calculate the probability per atom and second for stimulated emission from 2p to 1s if the lifetime of 2p is 1.6 ns

Homework Equations

##A=\frac{1}{\Sigma \tau}##

$$A_{2,1} = \frac{8*\pi *h * f^3*B_{2,1}}{c^3}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
hmmm, I'm not sure how to approach this problem. I took the inverse of the life time and got that A= ##6.25*10^8 S^{-1}.##

But I'm not sure where to start or what formulas to use.

The only formula I know of which takes temperature into account is
Doppler line width: ##\Delta F = constant * f_0 * \sqrt(T/M) ## which I can't see how to apply in this case at all.

Any input on where to start?

Answers and Replies

The probability of stimulated emission will depend on the density of radiation around the atom, which depends on the temperature.

Likes Philip Land
The probability of stimulated emission will depend on the density of radiation around the atom, which depends on the temperature.

Thanks a lot! I manage to as you said find a relation between radiation density and temperature, (Planck’s radiation law).

Then I used a Radiation balance and solved for ##A_{21} = \rho (f) * \frac{N_1}{N_2}*B_{12}
-B{21}*\rho (f). ##

Where ##g_1*B_{12} = g_2*B_{21}## if we let g1=g2 we get ##B_{12}=B_{21}##

We also know from statistics that ##\frac{N_1}{N_2}= e^\frac{- \Delta E}{kT}##

But my question is. To get A (which I guess i'm supposed to get). I need B and ##\Delta E## But I don't have those quantities... (as i'm aware of).

Did you use the given lifetime already?

Did you use the given lifetime already?
Yes I used that to get the frequency, used in Plancks radiation law.

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
##A_{21} = \rho (f) * \frac{N_1}{N_2}*B_{12} -B{21}*\rho (f). ##
It might help to rearrange this equation as ##N_2A_{21} + N_2B_{21}\rho (f)= N_1B_{12}\rho (f) ##.
Interpret each of the terms. One of the terms is closely related to what you are asked to find.