1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability problem involving 4 Unions (inclusive OR)

1. Jan 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given P(AUBUCUD), expand

3. The attempt at a solution
    I approached the solution by procedurally drawing Vann Diagrams, building from AUB to AUBUCUD (Not included); Please do check if my line of reasoning is sound.
    (let "n" be the intersection, AND)

1) P(AUB): P(A) + P(B) - P(AnB) [subtract the extra section, this is repeated at the end of subsequent steps]
    2) P((AUB)UC): P(AUB) + P(C) - P((AUB)nC)
    3) P((AUBUC)UD): P((AUB)UC) + P(D) - P((AUBUC)nD)

Substituting backwards, hence

A(AUBUCUD)= P(AUB) + P(C) - P((AUB)nC) + P(D) - P((AUBUC)nD)
    A(AUBUCUD)= P(A) + P(B) - P(AnB) + P(C) - P((AUB)nC) + P(D) - P((AUBUC)nD) (Solved)

Also, do inform me if there is any more efficient way to put this. Thank you for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have the right idea (and yes, it IS tedious!). However, I believe the question wants you to expand further, so it wants you expand ##P((A \cup B)\cap C)## and ##P((A \cup B \cup C)\cap D)##. Can you see how to do that?

4. Jan 27, 2013 #3
    Hello Vickson,

Thank you for your reminder; Using P(AnB)= P(A)*P(B) I believe that they can be solved as below? (some expressions were substituted backwards)

1. P(AnB)= P(A)P(B) [solved]

2. P((AUB)nC) = [P(A)+P(B)-P(AnB)]*P(C)
    = [P(A) + P(B) - P(A)P(B)]*P(C)
    = P(A)P(C) + P(B)P(C) - P(A)P(B)P(C) [solved]

3. P((AUBUB)nD)= [P(AUB)+P(C)-P((AUB)nC)]*P(D)
    = {[P(A) + P(B) - P(AnB)] + P(C) - [P(A)P(C) + P(B)P(C) - P(A)P(B)P(C)]}*P(D)
    = [P(A) + P(B) - P(A)P(B) + P(C) - P(A)P(C) - P(B)P(C) + P(A)P(B)P(C)]*P(D)
    = P(A)P(D) + P(B)P(D) - P(A)P(B)P(D) + P(C)P(D) - P(A)P(C)P(D) - P(B)P(C)P(D) + P(A)P(B)P(C)P(D) [solved]

What a jargon. Thank you for your time.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  5. Jan 27, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No: what you wrote in 1) is true only if the events A and B are independent. Were you told that they are? If not, then what you wrote originally (in your first post) is correct: ##P(A \cup B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(AB), ## where I have used the simpler notation ##AB## instead of ##A \cap B##.

So, 2) is wrong as well, at least for non-independent events. Start with the set identity ##(A \cup B) C = AB \cup AC##. This has nothing to do with probability; it is just "set algebra". OK, so you now have a probability of the form ##P(\text{this} \cup \text{that}),## and you have already figured how to expand such things.

After fixing up 2), you can go on to 3) in a similar way. If you think it was tedious before, just keep going!

6. Jan 27, 2013 #5
    Hello Vickson,

So it would change the scenario if the events were independent. Then if events A, B, C and D could occur without the other(s) happening the 2nd post would be correct?

I think I will get back to this after I familiarize myself with set algebra.
    Thanks for your inspection of the equations.

7. Jan 28, 2013 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The scenario does not change at all if the events are independent; the only thing that changes is whether or not you have P(AB) = P(A)*P(B) for example; you still have P(AB), etc., present in the final answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook