1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability Ques: Attended program?

1. Jun 10, 2012 #1
    Hi All,
    Hope there is a kind soul around to discuss with. Here goes:

1. Given that if a group of workers have attended a training program, they are able to meet the target output for 90% of the time. If new workers who do not attend, their output will be met 65%of the time. There is a group of new workers joining the company. 50% of them have attended the course. I need to find out whether the new worker has attended the training program if she has meet her output. ( No info given whether she has met target ,65% or 90% of the time)

2. I have tried using tree diagram:

New employee output time
    0.5 ----> 0.9
    ----> 0.1
    0.5 -----> 0.65
    -----> 0.35

How do I do the linking of the problem above with formulas? I have just learnt about conditional prob & bayes theorem.

Thanks for your views

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To do it systematically, first introduction some notation. Say M = {meets target}, T = {trained}. You are given the conditional probabilities P(M|T) (=?), P(M|not T) (=?) and the unconditional probability P(T) (=?). You want to know P(T|M). Do you know the formulas for getting this?

Note: I would rather not give you more help now; instead, I would like you to answer as many as you can of the questions as I asked above. Then you will be well on your way to solving the question yourself.

RGV

4. Jun 10, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"( No info given whether she has met target ,65% or 90% of the time)," You are misinterpreting this information. 90% of the workers who have taken the programm meet the target, 65% of those who did not take the program meet the target. It is not a question of a percentage "of the time" for an individual.

Here's how I would do such a problem- Imagine that there are 1000 new workers (chosen to avoid decimal fractions). 50%, or 500, have attended the program, 500 have not. Of the 500 who attended the program, 90%, 450, meet the target. Of the 500 who did not, 65%, 325 meet the target. That makes a total of 450+ 325= 775 who meet the target, of whom 450 took the program.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook