1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability that the electron is found at a distance greater than r

1. Nov 22, 2011 #1
    The problem given is to calculate the probability that the electron is found at a distance greater than r=2a0 from the center of the hydrogen atom in its ground state.

I don't understand what the problem is asking. I dont understand what form of the wavefunction I should use.

I know that to calculate the probability is P(r)= abs value (ψ(r))^2 or P(r)= ψ*(r).ψ(r)

but what wave function should i use in this problem? should i use e^(r/a0)/sqrt(pi.a0)?

i know that at the ground state n=1 in which makes n,l=0

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2011 #2
    Just take the ground state wavefunction and integrate the square from 2a0 to infinity, [itex] P(r>2a_0) =\int_{2a_0}^\infty \psi^*(r) \psi (r) dr[/itex]

4. Dec 19, 2011 #3
    Thank you!

5. Nov 19, 2013 #4
    I have a question, in order to solve the same problem but if we use the wave function of the Radial functions of the Hydrogen atom is $$R10= 2/(sqrt(a0^3))*e^(-r/a0)$$ ?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted