Finding the probability of an electron in the forbidden region

So ##e' = 1.602 \times 10^{-19} \text{ C}##.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the probability of finding an electron in a classically forbidden region for a hydrogen atom in the first excited state. The equations and solution are provided, with a clarification on the proton charge and a suggestion to use spherical coordinates for integration. The final question is about the value of Z for hydrogen.
reminiscent

Homework Statement

For the hydrogen atom in the first excited state, find the probability of finding the electron in a classically forbidden region.

Homework Equations

E1 = -Z2μe'4/2n2ħ2
ψ200 =
∫ψ(r)2dr from the limit to ∞

The Attempt at a Solution

https://imgur.com/a/fWIMq

I feel like this answer is too weird... I would like my work to be checked on.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump.

Do I see an ##e^{14}## in your ##E## ?

reminiscent said:
I feel like this answer is too weird... I would like my work to be checked on.
Your work looks pretty good. However, you need to integrate over 3 dimensional space, not just over ##r##. How would you express the volume element ##dV## in terms of spherical coordinates?

What is ##Z## for hydrogen?

For the ##r## part of the integration, let the variable of integration be ##\sigma = r/a_0##. The lower limit will then become a simple number.

BvU said:
Do I see an ##e^{14}## in your ##E## ?
I think the OP is using ##e'## for the proton charge in order to distinguish it from the base of the natural log function.

Likes BvU

1. What is the forbidden region in relation to electrons?

The forbidden region refers to an area within an atom where an electron is not allowed to exist based on its energy level. This is due to the laws of quantum mechanics.

2. How is the probability of an electron in the forbidden region determined?

The probability of an electron in the forbidden region is determined using mathematical equations and techniques from quantum mechanics, such as the Schrödinger equation. This allows scientists to calculate the likelihood of an electron being found in a specific energy level or region within an atom.

3. Why is it important to find the probability of an electron in the forbidden region?

Understanding the probability of an electron in the forbidden region helps scientists better understand the behavior and properties of atoms. It also allows for the prediction and explanation of various phenomena, such as electron transitions between energy levels.

4. Can an electron ever be found in the forbidden region?

No, according to the laws of quantum mechanics, an electron cannot exist in the forbidden region. However, there is a small probability that an electron can tunnel through the forbidden region under certain conditions.

5. How does the probability of an electron in the forbidden region change with different energy levels?

As the energy level of an electron increases, the probability of it being found in the forbidden region decreases. This is because higher energy levels allow for more freedom of movement and a larger space for the electron to occupy within the atom.