Finding the probability of an electron in the forbidden region

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
reminiscent
Messages
131
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


For the hydrogen atom in the first excited state, find the probability of finding the electron in a classically forbidden region.

Homework Equations


E1 = -Z2μe'4/2n2ħ2
ψ200 =
∫ψ(r)2dr from the limit to ∞

The Attempt at a Solution


https://imgur.com/a/fWIMq

I feel like this answer is too weird... I would like my work to be checked on.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Do I see an ##e^{14}## in your ##E## ?
 
reminiscent said:
I feel like this answer is too weird... I would like my work to be checked on.
Your work looks pretty good. However, you need to integrate over 3 dimensional space, not just over ##r##. How would you express the volume element ##dV## in terms of spherical coordinates?

What is ##Z## for hydrogen?

For the ##r## part of the integration, let the variable of integration be ##\sigma = r/a_0##. The lower limit will then become a simple number.
 
BvU said:
Do I see an ##e^{14}## in your ##E## ?
I think the OP is using ##e'## for the proton charge in order to distinguish it from the base of the natural log function.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BvU