1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probabilty of one tail followed by three heads with a biased coin

1. Feb 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A coin is biased so that the probability of heads is 2/3. What is the probability that exactly four heads come up when the coin is flipped seven times, assuming that the flips are independent?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    C(7,4)(2/3)^4(1/3)^3 = (35*16)/3^7 = 560/2187

Now, I know this answer is correct, but what if we were asked to find probability of exactly one tail followed by three heads rather than exactly four heads: How would I calculate the answer for that?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How would you calculate the probability of getting T on toss 1? If your first toss is T, does that affect the probability that the next three tosses all give H?

4. Feb 11, 2013 #3
    No, it doesn't since each toss is independent. So, it would be calculated the same way?

5. Feb 12, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The four heads were out of 7 tosses. Are your 1T3H out of just four tosses? If not, what do you mean?

6. Feb 12, 2013 #5
    I believe he was referencing another problem he posted on PF. But yeah, I assume that THHH would be out of four tosses; obviously any later ones would be superfluous.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook