Probability of Getting Head or 4: 7/12

• Thread starter alijan kk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of getting a head or a 4 when flipping a coin and throwing a die. The sample space and event are listed and the probability is calculated using the formula P(A)+P(B)-P(AintersectionB). It is also mentioned that the event H,4 was left out, which is necessary to include in the calculation as "a head or a 4" means that both can occur. The difference between "H or 4" and "H and 4" is explained, with the formula P(AUB) used when A does not intersect B and P(AUB) = P(A)+P(B) used when A intersects B.
alijan kk

Homework Statement

If a coin flipped and one die is thrown, what is the probability of getting a head or a 4 ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Sample Space={ H,1 H,2 H,3 H,4 H,5 H,6 T,1 T,2 T,3 T,4 T,5 T,6 }
Event={ H,1 H,2 H,3 H,5 H,6 T,4 }
probability is 6/12

if i don't do it with the formula P(A)+P(B)-P(AintersectionB)

i know the probability is 7/12

but what does probability of " a head or a 4" really mean ? should i add H,4 in the set of event but why it is necessary if yes

Physics news on Phys.org
alijan kk said:

Homework Statement

If a coin flipped and one die is thrown, what is the probability of getting a head or a 4 ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Sample Space={ H,1 H,2 H,3 H,4 H,5 H,6 T,1 T,2 T,3 T,4 T,5 T,6 }
Event={ H,1 H,2 H,3 H,5 H,6 T,4 }
You left out the event H, 4.
alijan kk said:
probability is 6/12

if i don't do it with the formula P(A)+P(B)-P(AintersectionB)

i know the probability is 7/12

but what does probability of " a head or a 4" really mean ? should i add H,4 in the set of event but why it is necessary if yes

From the other thread you started (now deleted):
alijan kk said:
Yes you should add H, 4 to the events you're looking at. "A head or a 4" means that the coin turned up with a head OR the 4 on the die was on top OR both.

Mark44 said:
You left out the event H, 4.
H or 4 does that not mean either H or either 4 ? what is the difference in " H and 4 "

alijan kk said:
H or 4 does that not mean either H or either 4 ? what is the difference in " H and 4 "
No, "or" here does not mean "either H or 4." It includes the possibility of both occurring.
So P(H or 4) consists of the events {(H, 1), (H, 2), (H, 3), (H, 4), (H, 5), (H, 6), (T, 4)}.
P(H and 4) consists of only one event: {(H, 4}}.

Likes alijan kk
Mark44 said:
No, "or" here does not mean "either H or 4." It includes the possibility of both occurring.
So P(H or 4) consists of the events {(H, 1), (H, 2), (H, 3), (H, 4), (H, 5), (H, 6), (T, 4)}.
P(H and 4) consists of only one event: {(H, 4}}.
Thanks again <3

but what does probability of " a head or a 4" really mean ?
Don't get confuse .Be clear with event.
P (AUB) = P (A)+P (B)- P (A intersection B)
Use this formula if A intersects B.

P (AUB) = P (A)+P (B) => use this formula if A does not intersect B.

What is the meaning of "Probability of Getting Head or 4: 7/12"?

The phrase "Probability of Getting Head or 4: 7/12" refers to the likelihood of obtaining a head or a 4 when flipping a coin or rolling a die, respectively. It is represented as a fraction, where the numerator represents the number of desired outcomes and the denominator represents the total number of possible outcomes.

How is the probability of getting a head or 4 calculated?

The probability of getting a head or 4 is calculated by adding the individual probabilities of getting a head (1/2) and getting a 4 (1/6). This is because these events are mutually exclusive, meaning they cannot occur at the same time.

What is the probability of getting only a head or a 4?

The probability of getting only a head or a 4 is calculated by subtracting the probability of getting both a head and a 4 (1/12) from the probability of getting a head or a 4 (7/12). This can be represented as 7/12 - 1/12 = 6/12 = 1/2.

How does the number of trials affect the probability of getting a head or 4?

The more trials that are conducted, the closer the observed probability of getting a head or 4 will be to the theoretical probability (7/12). This is due to the law of large numbers, which states that as the number of trials increases, the observed results will approach the expected results.

What are some real-life examples of events with a probability of getting a head or 4: 7/12?

Some examples of real-life events with a probability of getting a head or 4: 7/12 include flipping a coin and getting either a head or a tail, rolling a die and getting either a 4 or any other number, and spinning a spinner with 12 equal sections and landing on either a specific section or any other section.