Probablity & Statistics: I need some help, but not in the way you're thinking

In summary, the person is struggling with Probability and Statistics and finds the work to be too easy. They mention that their old school did the same material and it was much more difficult. They also mention that they should talk to their teacher about the issue.
Gr!dl0cK
Probablity & Statistics: I need some help, but not in the way you're thinking :)

Homework Statement

Well, I really should be getting on with my work. You see I do what's called Distance Education (I do my work from home via the internet) because I find it difficult to learn in a classroom (due to distractions and the need to do things at my own pace - which may be faster or slower than in a classroom depending on the topic - etc.). In maths at the moment we're working on Probability and Statistics, but the trouble is that the work is way way way too easy. And as a result I find myself procrastinating. Can anyone help me out here? :D

Homework Equations

N.A.

The Attempt at a Solution

N.A.

Physics news on Phys.org

Haha, I know it's cliche but its just a matter of will-power and discipline. If it's really easy then you should have no problem getting through required material quickly, compliment that material with more challenging problems. Usually textbooks will have challenging questions near the end of the chapter questions or have some sort of indicator to say that it is challenging. I've encountered the same problem and it's just a matter of getting down to it and doing it, because it will eventually get harder and if you have the same work ethic at that time you will be in some trouble.

If you have your textbook, every time you cover a new topic with your online classroom, try to learn the new topic and two more (the next ones). With this type of learning, you will "feel" some exertion, and of course you will be much more further than your online classmates.

I know I really should knuckle down and do it, but it's actually really hard to find the will to just start it. :(
Sadly I don't have a textbook, the work gets delivered online, so there goes the option of getting ahead QQ. As to the online classroom, we do have them, but I don't show up (and the teacher's fine with that) because it's kinda pointless, and for me classroom=distractions=not getting much work done/inability to concentrate.

What makes this unit even worse is that back at my old school, I took an advanced maths course, as an elective. I'm in year 9, so we just worked from a year 11 textbook - and yep, you guessed it, we covered probability (in depth). And that makes it even harder (the year 9 work would be way too easy anyway, but I also covered the topic at year 11 level - making life really difficult in terms of finding the will to do this.)

Perhaps I should talk to my teacher about this? But then I've got the issue as to how and when to approach it.

Food for thought methinks. Or perhaps thought for food :P

1. What is the difference between probability and statistics?

Probability is the likelihood or chance of an event occurring, while statistics is the collection, analysis, and interpretation of data.

2. Why is understanding probability and statistics important?

Probability and statistics are crucial in making informed decisions and drawing conclusions based on data. They are used in various fields such as science, business, and medicine to analyze and interpret data.

3. What are some common applications of probability and statistics?

Some common applications of probability and statistics include predicting outcomes in gambling, analyzing stock market trends, and conducting medical research.

4. How do you calculate probability?

Probability can be calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. The result is usually expressed as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

5. What are the different types of probability distributions?

Some common types of probability distributions include normal distribution, binomial distribution, and Poisson distribution. Each type has its own set of characteristics and is used for different types of data analysis.