1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probablity & Statistics: I need some help, but not in the way you're thinking

1. Dec 1, 2008 #1
    Probablity & Statistics: I need some help, but not in the way you're thinking :)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Well, I really should be getting on with my work. You see I do what's called Distance Education (I do my work from home via the internet) because I find it difficult to learn in a classroom (due to distractions and the need to do things at my own pace - which may be faster or slower than in a classroom depending on the topic - etc.). In maths at the moment we're working on Probability and Statistics, but the trouble is that the work is way way way too easy. And as a result I find myself procrastinating. Can anyone help me out here? :D

2. Relevant equations

N.A.

3. The attempt at a solution

N.A.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2008 #2
    Re: Probablity & Statistics: I need some help, but not in the way you're thinking :)

Haha, I know it's cliche but its just a matter of will-power and discipline. If it's really easy then you should have no problem getting through required material quickly, compliment that material with more challenging problems. Usually textbooks will have challenging questions near the end of the chapter questions or have some sort of indicator to say that it is challenging. I've encountered the same problem and it's just a matter of getting down to it and doing it, because it will eventually get harder and if you have the same work ethic at that time you will be in some trouble.

4. Dec 2, 2008 #3
    Re: Probablity & Statistics: I need some help, but not in the way you're thinking :)

If you have your text book, every time you cover a new topic with your online classroom, try to learn the new topic and two more (the next ones). With this type of learning, you will "feel" some exertion, and of course you will be much more further than your online classmates.

5. Dec 2, 2008 #4

I know I really should knuckle down and do it, but it's actually really hard to find the will to just start it. :(
    Sadly I don't have a textbook, the work gets delivered online, so there goes the option of getting ahead QQ. As to the online classroom, we do have them, but I don't show up (and the teacher's fine with that) because it's kinda pointless, and for me classroom=distractions=not getting much work done/inability to concentrate.

What makes this unit even worse is that back at my old school, I took an advanced maths course, as an elective. I'm in year 9, so we just worked from a year 11 textbook - and yep, you guessed it, we covered probability (in depth). And that makes it even harder (the year 9 work would be way too easy anyway, but I also covered the topic at year 11 level - making life really difficult in terms of finding the will to do this.)

Perhaps I should talk to my teacher about this? But then I've got the issue as to how and when to approach it.

Food for thought methinks. Or perhaps thought for food :P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?