1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applying hypothesis test data collected (Statistics)

1. Dec 1, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So I am doing a project for statistics and wanted to apply a hypothesis test to see if there is a correlation between the number of years spent at my college and the number of services used. The services include library, recreational services, clubs, etc.. i sent out a survey to get data from students and obtained a sample of 50 students with a mean of 1.510638 services used for the whole sample size. The average for first year students is 1.4. The average for second year students is 1.25, the average for 3rd year students is 1.6, the average for 4th year students is 1.75 and the average for 5th year students is 1.5.

SO my null hypothesis would be : number of years spent at my college would have no effect on number of services used

AND my alternative hypothesis would be that number of years spent at my school has an effect on number of services used.

I think that there will be no correlation. Just wondering how to set this up and execute it so I can prove statistically what is going on here. Any help would be appreciated!

2. Relevant equations
    standard deviation (σ)
    mean
    z=(μ-mean)/(σ/sqrt(n))

3. The attempt at a solution
    I need help picking which variables to use. Once I have all of the variables defined the analysis is straight forward. But applying this knowledge to real world data that i have collected is what I am struggling with.

would I be getting my standard deviation from the averages for each year?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2017 #2
    Title should say "Applying Hypothesis Test TO data Collected (Statistics)"

4. Dec 1, 2017 #3
    The standard deviation for the sample is 0.74810893259146
    While the average for the whole sample size is 1.510638

The standard deviation for the averages of each year is 0.1903943276466
    while the average of the averages is 1.5

5. Dec 1, 2017 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This looks like a standard problem in ANOVA---Google it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted