Probably pretty simple for ya'll but

• Thread starter kshan5
  • Start date
In summary, A student struggled with a question on their intro to logic final at UMass, which involved proving ∀x(Fx V Gx) using the premise ∀xFx V ∀xGx. They spent an hour on it and couldn't get close. They asked for help and were given a hint to consider what would make the conclusion false.
kshan5
So I just got out of my intro to logic final at UMass and there was one question I just couldn't solve, and I'd like to know how. Anyways, here it is,

1. ∀xFx V ∀xGx
2. Show: ∀x(Fx V Gx)

I did 90% of the exam in a half hour, then spent the next hour on this alone and couldn't really get that close. Anyways, just really curious how you'd go about doing it.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Show how? By using the quantifier's semantic definitions or were you asked to use a particular proof system? Anyway, in the former, here's a hint: what must happen for the conclusion to be false?

What does "Probably pretty simple for ya'll but" mean?

"Probably pretty simple for ya'll but" is a phrase commonly used to preface a question or task that the speaker believes will be easy for the listener or audience to understand or accomplish. It implies that the speaker may feel embarrassed or self-conscious for asking the question because it may seem obvious to others.

Why do people use the phrase "Probably pretty simple for ya'll but"?

People use this phrase to acknowledge that they may be asking a question or requesting assistance with something that may seem easy or basic to others. It can also be used as a way to express humility or to apologize for potentially wasting someone's time.

Is it rude to use the phrase "Probably pretty simple for ya'll but"?

Using this phrase can potentially come off as rude if the speaker is asking a question or requesting help in a condescending or dismissive manner. It is important to use this phrase with sincerity and genuine humility to avoid any potential offense.

Can the phrase "Probably pretty simple for ya'll but" be used in a professional setting?

While this phrase may be commonly used in casual or informal conversations, it may not be appropriate to use in a professional setting. It can come off as unprofessional or lacking confidence in one's own knowledge or abilities. It is best to avoid using this phrase in professional or formal situations.

How can I avoid using the phrase "Probably pretty simple for ya'll but"?

If you are unsure about the complexity of a question or task, it is best to simply ask for assistance without pre-emptively assuming that it will be easy for the listener. Instead of using this phrase, you could say something like "I'm not sure if this is a simple question, but I was wondering if you could help me with..." This allows the listener to determine the difficulty level without feeling like their time or expertise is being undervalued.