1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem 42 on Gelfand's Algebra (on neighbor fractions)

1. Nov 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Fractions ##\frac{a}{b}## and ##\frac{c}{d}## are called neighbor fractions if their difference ##\frac{ad - bc}{bd}## has numerator ##\pm 1##, that is, ##ad - bc = \pm 1##.

Prove that

(a) in this case neither fraction can be simplified (that is, neither has any common factors in numerator and denominator);

(b) if ##\frac{a}{b}## and ##\frac{c}{d}## are neighbor fractions, then ##\frac{a + b}{c + d}## is between them and is a neighbor fraction for both ##\frac{a}{b}## and ##\frac{c}{d}##; moreover,

(c) no fraction ##\frac{e}{f}## with positive integer ##e## and ##f## such that ##f < b + d## is between ##\frac{a}{b}## and ##\frac{c}{d}##

2. Relevant equations

We saw in page 23 that “it is a horrible error (which, of course, you avoid) to add numerators and denominators separately:

$$\frac{2}{3} + \frac{5}{7} \rightarrow \frac{2 + 5}{3 + 7} = \frac{7}{10}$$

Instead of the sum this operation gives you something in between the two fractions you started with (##7/10 = 0.7## is between ##2/3 = 0.666##... and ##5/7 = 0.714285##...).

3. The attempt at a solution

The first part is proved as follows:

We prove that if a fraction has common factors in numerator and denominator, we cannot get a possible solution:

##\frac{xi}{xj} - \frac{c}{d} = \frac{\pm 1}{xjd}##

##\frac{xid - xjc}{xjd} = \frac{\pm 1}{xjd}##

##\frac{x\times(id - jc)}{xjd} = \frac{\pm 1}{xjd}##

##\frac{id - jc}{jd} = \frac{\pm 1}{xjd}##

##\frac{id - jc}{jd}\times jd = \frac{\pm 1}{xjd}\times jd##

##id - jc \neq \frac{\pm 1}{x}##

Except in the case that ##x = \pm 1##

I think it's ok that way. But now in the following part of the problem I think that it has a mistake, and where he says '##\frac{a + b}{c + d}## is between them and...' it should say '##\frac{a + c}{b + d}## is between them and...'due to what we saw in page 23. If that were the case, then the solution should be:

##\frac{a}{b} - \frac{a + c}{b + d} = \frac{\pm 1}{b (b + d)}##

##\frac{a (b + d) - b (a + c)}{b (b + d)} = \frac{\pm 1}{b (b + d)}##

##\frac{ab + ad - ba - bc}{b (b + d)} = \frac{\pm 1}{b (b + d)}##

##\frac{ad - bc}{b (b + d)} = \frac{\pm 1}{b (b + d)}##

##\frac{ad - bc}{b^{2} + bd} \times b^{2} = \frac{\pm 1}{b^{2} + bd} \times b^{2}##

##\frac{ad - bc}{bd} = \frac{\pm 1}{bd}##

And that's what we had as a neighbor fraction. The last question is driving me crazy. I can't see how to solve that, and would appreciate a hint or something.

Thanks for your attention and excuse me for my bad English!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2015 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Let me give you some common tools at hand so that you can learn something more out of it than just getting a solution.

If you arrange your fractions as a matrix [tex] A = \begin{bmatrix}a & b\\ c & d\end{bmatrix}[/tex] then you can define

[tex]A \cdot \bar{A} = \begin{bmatrix}a & b\\ c & d\end{bmatrix} \cdot \begin{bmatrix}\bar{a} & \bar{b}\\ \bar{c} & \bar{d}\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}a \cdot \bar{a} + b \cdot \bar{c} & a \cdot \bar{b} + b \cdot \bar{d} \\ c \cdot \bar{a} + d \cdot \bar{c} & c \cdot \bar{b} + d \cdot \bar{d} \end{bmatrix}[/tex] which is called matrix multiplication.

Further the term ##det(A) = a \cdot d - b \cdot c## is called determinate of ##A##. You can show that ##det(A \cdot \bar{A}) = det(A) \cdot det(\bar{A})##.

Applying this to your problems (a) and the last part of (b) the solutions can be stated in a more elegant way, although it does just that what you did. For the second part of (b) consider multiplying ##A## with \begin{bmatrix}1 & 1\\ 0 & 1\end{bmatrix} and \begin{bmatrix} 1& 0\\ 1 & 1\end{bmatrix}.

And you are right: ##\frac{a+b}{c+d}## is not in between ##\frac{a}{b}## and ##\frac{c}{d}## as [tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 3\\ 2 & 7\end{bmatrix}[/tex] shows.

4. Nov 12, 2015 #3

fresh_42

Hint on (c): Let us assume all integers are positiv, ##a d - b c = 1## and ##0 ≤ \frac {c}{d} ≤ \frac {e}{f} ≤ \frac {a}{b}##
    Then ##bcf ≤ edb ≤ adf = (1 + bc) f = f + bcf < bcf## which is a contradiction, i.e ##\frac{e}{f}## cannot exist.

5. Nov 12, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Determinant.

6. Nov 12, 2015 #5

fresh_42

thx, was in a hurry :wink:

7. Nov 16, 2015 #6
    Thank you very much for your answers! Since I haven't studied matrices yet I can't apply what you told me @fresh_42 but I've put a mark on the problem to be back when I begin with matrices!

8. Nov 16, 2015 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I didn't follow the last step, where you write "< bcf". Where does that come from? You don't seem to have used f<b+d, so maybe it's from that somehow.

9. Nov 16, 2015 #8

fresh_42

You are right. I made a fat mistake. Embarrassing :sorry: I have to restart it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted