Problem during finding <x> in p space

• I
  • Thread starter Shell_E
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, the problem at hand is to find <x> in P space and the solution's logic involves using the formula, submitting it with a specific integral, and replacing a term in the integral. By solving the integral, one can find the expectation value for x. However, there are some parts that are not clear, such as the presence of a minus sign and the ability to change the order of terms in the integral. The conversation concludes with the explanation that integration by parts is necessary due to the Hermitian nature of the momentum operator, and that the Schwartz space allows for essential self-adjointness of the momentum operator.
Shell_E
Thank you advance for help!

So the problem is find <x> in P space.
The solution's logic is use formula:
upload_2016-10-18_9-35-45.png
The submit with
upload_2016-10-18_9-35-18.png
Then one will get the integral
upload_2016-10-18_9-36-33.png

by noticing that
upload_2016-10-18_9-36-48.png
, one can replace xeipx/ħ in the integral

so that
upload_2016-10-18_9-38-0.png

and then after solving the integral one can find the expectation value for x.

The part I don't understand is why
upload_2016-10-18_9-39-1.png
, firstly I am not sure where is the minus sign comes from. Next I don't think I can just change the order of eipx/ħ and Φ because the term d/dp.

Could anyone help me figure the integral out?

Thank you everybody.
Shell

Attachments

• upload_2016-10-18_9-33-44.png
    upload_2016-10-18_9-33-44.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 367
  • upload_2016-10-18_9-33-58.png
    upload_2016-10-18_9-33-58.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 388
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that integration by parts comes into this one.

Likes Shell_E and DrClaude
It comes about because momentum is a Hermitian operator: http://www.colby.edu/chemistry/PChem/notes/MomentumHermitian.pdf

Likes Shell_E
@Jilang @DrClaude Thank you for help! I mislead by the integral sign to think it gained by doing some rearrangement inside the integral. Everything become clear if I do integral by part and use the fact that momentum operator is hermitian. Thanks a lot!

The tacit assumption is that any wave function decreases at infinity slower than any polynomial, thus can be safely assumed to be a Schwartz test function. The Schwartz space is invariant under the Fourier transform and provides a domain of essential self-adjointness for the momentum operator over the entire real line.
Because of this explanation, you can use partial integration in the improper definite integral and discard the so-called "surface term" (a misnomer, because we're in 1D).

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71

1. What is P space?

P space is a complexity class in theoretical computer science that represents the set of all decision problems that can be solved by a deterministic Turing machine using a polynomial amount of memory.

2. How is P space different from other complexity classes?

P space is different from other complexity classes because it focuses on the amount of memory required to solve a problem, rather than the time it takes to solve it (as in the class P) or the amount of time and memory required (as in the class NP).

3. What are some examples of problems in P space?

Some examples of problems in P space include finding the shortest path in a graph, determining the maximum flow in a network, and solving linear programming problems.

4. What are the common challenges in finding solutions for problems in P space?

Some common challenges in finding solutions for problems in P space include designing algorithms that use polynomial time and memory, and developing efficient data structures and techniques for problem solving.

5. Can all problems be solved in P space?

No, not all problems can be solved in P space. Some problems may require more than polynomial memory to be solved, and thus fall into the class NP or other complexity classes.