PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
TL;DR Summary
Installed successfully but won't import
I'm running Python 3.8.3 on Windows 10 and was have installed matplotlib, but I can't get it to work. If I try import matplotlib then first it seems to spit out some output (always the same) from a couple of basic test programs I wrote (which is really weird), then just gets a bunch of errors:

c=300000000
Favorite number is 1729
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\pero_\OneDrive\Documents\python_work\mpl_squares.py", line 1, in <module>
import matplotlib
File "C:\Users\pero_\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python38\site-packages\matplotlib\__init__.py", line 139, in <module>
from . import cbook, rcsetup
File "C:\Users\pero_\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python38\site-packages\matplotlib\cbook\__init__.py", line 32, in <module>
import numpy as np
File "C:\Users\pero_\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python38\site-packages\numpy\__init__.py", line 145, in <module>
from . import core
File "C:\Users\pero_\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python38\site-packages\numpy\core\__init__.py", line 70, in <module>
from . import numerictypes as nt
File "C:\Users\pero_\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python38\site-packages\numpy\core\numerictypes.py", line 596, in <module>
_register_types()
File "C:\Users\pero_\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python38\site-packages\numpy\core\numerictypes.py", line 591, in _register_types
numbers.Integral.register(integer)
AttributeError: module 'numbers' has no attribute 'Integral'
[Finished in 0.9s]

I've been down a rabbit hole with this most of the day. I've tried what I found here, messing about with different WHL files:

https://ehmatthes.github.io/pcc/chapter_15/README.html#installing-matplotlib-on-windows

Any ideas?

Thanks

Answers and Replies

Are you using pip or anaconda?

It looks like you have a numbers.py file somewhere in your python search path aka PYTHONPATH that is being processed over the correct one needed by numerictypes.py

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
pip

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
How do I fix that?

Look through your code to see if you have a file you named numbers.py
and change its name.

• Informative
Likes Borg and PeroK
PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
Aha, that was the test program that was printing the speed of light and the number 1729.

It's gone and that seems to have fixed it. Thanks a million!

Great, I’m glad that was easy to find. We don’t use pip for our projects instead we use anaconda which comes loaded with a lot of modules all in one tar because works better in an airgapped environment with no internet access.

Suggested for: Problem importing matplotlib in Python

• Last Post
Replies
Views
MHB Python
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies