Why matplotlib is not working on the VSCode

• Thread starter Arman777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matplotlib
In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with a basic plotting code not running on VS code. The individual deleted python and VS code and reinstalled them, but the problem persisted. The traceback error suggests a potential issue with the matplotlib module and the individual realizes they have a file named "copy.py" which could be causing a clash. They discuss the importance of avoiding clashes with keywords and other elements in programming.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
I wrote a basic plotting code and I run it on the VS code my somehow the program cannot run it

I deleted python itself and VS code and I downloaded them again, but the problem is not solved.

Python:
    import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
    x = [1,2,3]
    y = [4,5,6]
    plt.plot(x,y)
    plt.show()

Python:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "c:/Users/xxx/Desktop/Cmpt Physics/dreams.py", line 1, in <module>
        import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
    File "C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\matplotlib\__init__.py", line 138, in <module>
        from . import cbook, rcsetup
    File "C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\matplotlib\rcsetup.py", line 24, in <module>
        from matplotlib.fontconfig_pattern import parse_fontconfig_pattern
    File "C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\matplotlib\fontconfig_pattern.py", line 18, in <module>
        from pyparsing import (Literal, ZeroOrMore, Optional, Regex, StringEnd,
    File "C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\pyparsing.py", line 104, in <module>       
        import copy
    File "c:\Users\xxx\Desktop\Cmpt Physics\copy.py", line 5, in <module>
        from pylab import plot,show,grid
    File "C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\pylab.py", line 1, in <module>
        from matplotlib.pylab import *
    File "C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\matplotlib\pylab.py", line 218, in <module>
        from matplotlib.dates import (
    File "C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\matplotlib\dates.py", line 156, in <module>
        from matplotlib import rcParams
    ImportError: cannot import name 'rcParams' from 'matplotlib' (C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37\lib\site-packages\matplotlib\__init__.py)

Any idea why this happens ?

Technology news on Phys.org
It worked on my machine so its not the program.

Perhaps you need to reinstall the matplotlib module or see if there are updates that need to be installed.

Are you using Anaconda or some other scheme to install py modules?

jedishrfu said:
It worked on my machine so its not the program.

Perhaps you need to reinstall the matplotlib module or see if there are updates that need to be installed.

Are you using Anaconda or some other scheme to install py modules?
I realized that I have a file name "copy.py" so it was clashing with the matplotlip module.

Ahh okay that explains it. Bad programmer!

One rule of thumb is to always misspell things to prevent clashes with keywords and other stuff.

Likes Arman777
jedishrfu said:
Ahh okay that explains it. Bad programmer!

One rule of thumb is to always misspell things to prevent clashes with keywords and other stuff.
makes sense, thanks for the tip.

1. Why am I getting an error when trying to import matplotlib on VSCode?

This could be due to a few reasons. First, make sure you have installed matplotlib correctly on your computer. If you are using a virtual environment, make sure you have activated it before trying to import. Additionally, check that you have the correct version of Python selected in your VSCode settings.

2. Why is matplotlib not producing any plots on VSCode?

There are a few potential reasons for this issue. First, make sure you are using the correct syntax to create and display your plots. Additionally, check that you have installed all of the necessary dependencies for matplotlib, such as NumPy and SciPy. If you are still having trouble, try restarting your VSCode or your computer.

3. Why is VSCode giving me a "module not found" error when using matplotlib?

This error typically means that VSCode is unable to find the matplotlib module. Make sure that you have installed matplotlib in your current environment and that VSCode is using the correct environment. You may also need to add the path to your matplotlib installation to your VSCode settings.

4. Can I use matplotlib with other programming languages on VSCode?

Yes, you can use matplotlib with other programming languages such as R, Julia, and C++ on VSCode. However, you may need to install additional extensions or packages to enable this functionality. Check the documentation for your desired language and the VSCode documentation for more information.

5. How can I troubleshoot my matplotlib issues on VSCode?

If you are having trouble with matplotlib on VSCode, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue. First, check for any error messages or warnings in the VSCode console or terminal. Next, try restarting VSCode, your computer, or your code. You can also check the VSCode documentation or online forums for any known issues or solutions. If all else fails, consider reaching out to the VSCode support team for further assistance.