Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem in Dodelson Modern Cosmology

1. Jul 11, 2014 #1

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Could you please confirm my idea of how to deal with the problem question in the attachment?
    In case of a non-relativistic neutrino, the energy density will be given by:
    [itex] \rho = m_{\nu} n [/itex]
    And if we adopt a perturbation, then [itex]n \rightarrow n_{0} [1+ x ] [/itex]
    So in general what he asks from us is to calculate:
    [itex] m_{\nu} n_{0} x [/itex]
    ?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2014 #2

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

It's been a while so I don't know offhand, but let me just state that the problem is talking about a neutrino with non-zero mass, not a non-relativistic neutrino. In the early universe, neutrinos were still highly relativistic.

4. Jul 12, 2014 #3

ChrisVer

Gold Member

it's the last phrase- assume it non relativistic...
    It's OK I don't seek for a solution, I just want to see if I have grasped the idea. Because I don't have a closed form for that [itex]x[/itex] which happens to be the monopole expansion of the neutrinos' temperature fluctuation.
    [itex]x= \frac{3}{4 \pi} \int dΩ N(x,\hat{p}^{i},t ) \equiv 3 N_{0} (x,t) [/itex]

and on the other hand, the equation for [itex]N(x,\hat{p}^{i},t )[/itex] is not solvable without having again any information about the fluctuations of the metric...
    in Fourier Space ([itex]\mu[/itex] the cosine between k,p ... [itex]\Psi,\Phi[/itex] the time and spatial fluctuations of metric, dots for the conformal time derivatives) :
    [itex] \dot{N} + \frac{p}{E} i k \mu N + \dot{\Phi} + \frac{E}{p} i k \mu \Psi =0 [/itex]
    which I don't think is solvable without knowing anything about the variables appearing.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  5. Jul 12, 2014 #4

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

Hmm, maybe you're right. I'm still unsure whether or not they can be assumed as non-relativistic for a), but clearly they are non-relativistic for b) (which makes sense, as they are definitely non-relativistic today).

I could probably figure it out if I had my copy of Dodelson in front of me (sadly, it's packed away at the moment). But hopefully somebody else here can help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook