Problem on interest rates -- Math proof interesting

In summary, the problem is to show that the average annual compound rate of interest for an n-year period is less than or equal to the arithmetic mean of the annual compound interest rates. This can be proven using the fact that the geometric mean of a collection of positive numbers is less than or equal to the arithmetic mean. By considering two different investment scenarios, one with varying rates and one with a constant rate, it can be shown that the geometric mean of the interest rates is equal to the nth root of the products of the (1+i) - 1, which is also equal to the average annual compound rate. Thus, the proof involves showing that the geometric mean is less than or equal to the arithmetic mean, and then using the definition
lesdavies123
Hi, I have a problem that I need to solve, it goes like this: Using the fact that the geometric mean of a collection of positive numbers is less than or equal to the arithmetic mean, show that if annual compound interest rates over an n-year period are i1 in the first year, i2 in the second year,...,in in the nth year, then the average annual compound rate of interest for the n-year period is less than or equal to 1/n x (the summation of all the interest rates.

So that's the question, so I figure out that 1/n and the summation is the arithmetic mean of the interest rates. But to me, the geometric mean would be the nth root of all products of all the i. But the average annual compound rate would be the nth root of all the products of all the (1+i) - 1 in the end to get the interest rate. So that's it now I can't figure out how to do the proof as the average annual compound rate is not exactly the geometric mean but the nth root of the products of the (i+1) - 1 as I said earlier. So how can I put these together and do the proof if anybody figures it out! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
lesdavies123 said:
Hi, I have a problem that I need to solve, it goes like this: Using the fact that the geometric mean of a collection of positive numbers is less than or equal to the arithmetic mean, show that if annual compound interest rates over an n-year period are i1 in the first year, i2 in the second year,...,in in the nth year, then the average annual compound rate of interest for the n-year period is less than or equal to 1/n x (the summation of all the interest rates.

So that's the question, so I figure out that 1/n and the summation is the arithmetic mean of the interest rates. But to me, the geometric mean would be the nth root of all products of all the i. But the average annual compound rate would be the nth root of all the products of all the (1+i) - 1 in the end to get the interest rate. So that's it now I can't figure out how to do the proof as the average annual compound rate is not exactly the geometric mean but the nth root of the products of the (i+1) - 1 as I said earlier. So how can I put these together and do the proof if anybody figures it out! Thank you!

You aren't applying the GM-AM inequality to the correct set of numbers.

If you invest [itex]X[/itex], then after [itex]n[/itex] years you have[tex]
A_{\mathrm{var}} = (1 + i_1)(1 + i_2) \dots (1 + i_n)X = X\prod_{i=1}^n (1 + i_n).
[/tex] If instead you had invested [itex]X[/itex] at a constant rate of [itex]r[/itex] you would have [tex]
A_{\mathrm{fixed}} = X(1 + r)^n.
[/tex] By definition, the average rate [itex]\bar \imath[/itex] is such that [itex]A_{\mathrm{fixed}} = A_{\mathrm{var}}[/itex], so [itex]\bar \imath[/itex] must satisfy[tex]
\prod_{i=1}^n (1 + i_n) = (1 + \bar \imath)^n.[/tex] Thus [itex]1 + \bar \imath[/itex] is the geometric mean of the numbers [itex]\{1 + i_1, 1+ i_2, \dots, 1 + i_n\}.[/itex]

pasmith said:
Thus [itex]1 + \bar \imath[/itex] is the geometric mean of the numbers [itex]\{1 + i_1, 1+ i_2, \dots, 1 + i_n\}.[/itex]

Just to add to this, in actuarial science we define the geometric mean rate of return calculated over n periods of equal length to be
##(1+g)^n = \prod_{t=1}^{n}(1+i_t).##
As pasmith notes, its the mean of the accumulations not the rates themselves.

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for calculating interest rates?

The formula for calculating interest rates is: Interest Rate = (Interest / Principal) * 100

2. How do interest rates affect the economy?

Interest rates play a significant role in the economy as they impact borrowing, lending, and investment decisions. Higher interest rates can lead to a decrease in borrowing and spending, slowing down economic growth. On the other hand, lower interest rates can encourage borrowing and spending, stimulating economic growth.

3. How do interest rates impact personal finances?

Interest rates can impact personal finances in various ways. For example, higher interest rates can result in higher borrowing costs for mortgages and other loans, making it more expensive to purchase a home or finance a large purchase. On the other hand, lower interest rates can make it more affordable to borrow money for these purposes.

4. Can interest rates be negative?

Yes, interest rates can be negative in some cases. This occurs when the interest rate on a loan or investment is below 0%, meaning that the borrower or investor must pay back less than the amount borrowed or invested. Negative interest rates are used by central banks as a monetary policy tool to stimulate economic growth.

5. How do central banks influence interest rates?

Central banks have the authority to set interest rates, specifically the target for the overnight lending rate between banks. They can influence interest rates by adjusting this target rate, which can impact the rates that banks charge for borrowing and lending money. Central banks may also use other monetary policy tools, such as buying or selling government bonds, to influence interest rates.