Logarithm: Compound interest problem

In summary, to find the time it takes for a sum of money to double when invested at 8% compounded semi-annually, you would use the equation A = P(1+i/N)n, where N is the number of compounding periods in a year and n represents the time interval in units of Nths of a year. In this case, since we are compounding semi-annually, N = 2. Using this equation and solving for n, we get a total time of 8.836 years, which is the same as the answer given in the package.
HerroFish

Homework Statement

How long does it take for a sum of money to double if it is invested at 8% compounded semi-annually?

Homework Equations

A = P(1+i)n

A: Compounded amount
P: Initial amount
i: Interest rate
n: Period

The Attempt at a Solution

A = P(1+i)n
(2x) = (x)[1+(0.08)]2n (2n because it's compounded semi annually)
2 = 1.082n (x cancels out)
2n = log1.082
n = (log1.082)/2
n = 4.5032 per half a year

Although the answer given at the back of the package is 8.836a.
And I'm assuming "a" stands for annual. So I'm not sure where I went wrong.
Any help is much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
When you're compounding at some period other than annually, like say at intervals of 1/N years, the equation is:

A = P(1+i/N)n

and it's understood that n is the number of compounding periods, which means it represents the time interval in units of Nths of a year, rather than years.

Edit: In other words, you apply one Nth of the interest rate, and you do this N times a year.

In this case, we compound semi-annually, or every 1/2 year, so N = 2.

So, we have

log(A) = log(P) + nlog(1 + 0.08/2)

log(2P) = log(P) + nlog(1.04)

log(P) + log(2) - log(P) = nlog(1.04)

n = log(2)/log(1.04)

n = 17.6729876851

So, the total time required is 17.673 HALF-YEARS (compounding periods). Divide that by 2 to get 8.836 years. I believe the 'a' stands for 'annum', which is Latin for 'year'.

ohhhh okay thanks alot!

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is the inverse function of exponentiation. It is used to solve exponential equations and represents the power to which a base number must be raised to equal a given number.

2. How is a logarithm used in compound interest problems?

A logarithm is used in compound interest problems to calculate the time needed for an investment to reach a certain value. It helps to determine the growth rate of an investment over a specific period of time.

3. What is the formula for compound interest?

The formula for compound interest is A = P(1+r/n)^nt, where A is the final amount, P is the principal amount, r is the annual interest rate, n is the number of times the interest is compounded per year, and t is the number of years.

4. How do you solve a compound interest problem using logarithms?

To solve a compound interest problem using logarithms, first identify the given values in the formula and substitute them into the equation. Then, use logarithms to isolate the variable you are solving for. Finally, solve for the variable using basic algebraic techniques.

5. What is the difference between simple interest and compound interest?

Simple interest is calculated as a percentage of the principal amount only, while compound interest is calculated as a percentage of the principal amount plus any accumulated interest. This means that compound interest yields a higher return on investment compared to simple interest.