Problem: particle in infinitely deep potential

In summary, the problem is that the ground state energy is not determined by the input parameters. You need to find a way to calculate the ground state energy using the Rayleigh-Ritz variational method. You also need to find the pair of input parameters that minimize the energy.
paly4

Homework Statement

A square well: 0≤x≤L, V=0, for others x V=∞
ψ=N[x(x-L)+Ax2(x-L)+Bx(x-L)2]
H=-[STRIKE]h[/STRIKE]/2m*d2/dx2+V(x)

a) Determine N
b) Use the Rayleigh-Ritz variational method to obtain the <ψ|H|ψ> as a function of A and B, and minimize the energy with respect to A and B
c) Discuss how many distinct values of the pair (A, B) that you obtain and do you get more than one energy? If yes, what are they?
d) Compare you results to the exact particle in the box and discuss the error.
a') Consider the same system, but now V(x)=x for 0≤x≤L
Compute the first order perturbation correction to the ground state energy
b') Compute the first order perturbation correction to the ground state wave function

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I found with SAGE mathematical software that N2=[itex]\frac{\sqrt{210}}{\sqrt{(2B2-3AB+2A2)L7+7(A-B)L6+7L5}}[/itex]
b) I'm not sure in that. But I've calculated <E>=-[STRIKE]h[/STRIKE]/2m*∫ψ(x)*ψ''(x)*dx from 0 to L, it's another value depending from A, B and L.
I don't understand, what does "minimize the energy with respect to A and B" means. It already depends only from A, B and L.
c) It looks like that there must be some border values for energy, so it will be possible to determine A and B.
d) Exact particle is E=[STRIKE]h[/STRIKE]2/8mL2, just need to know A and B in the value from b) to compare.

a') <E>=-[STRIKE]h[/STRIKE]/2m*∫ψ(x)*(d2/dx2+x)[ψ(x)]*dx from 0 to L. Am I right in that solution? Or it is just -[STRIKE]h[/STRIKE]/2m*∫ψ(x)*(x)*ψ(x)*dx
b') have no idea, how to calculate correction for the ground state of the wave function.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The variational principle gives you an upper bound on the energy of the ground state; therefore, to get the best estimate, you want to find the least upper bound. In this case, your estimate will vary with A and B, so you want to find the value or values of A and B that minimize the function.

Thank you.
I've got 3 values of the <E>=5, 7 and 21 *([STRIKE]h[/STRIKE]2/mL2) after the finding derivatives of <E> with respect to A, B and AB.
So, the minimum of <E> is 5([STRIKE]h[/STRIKE]2/mL2).

But I'm still stuck with a') and b').

Vela, thanks for helping me!

1. What is a particle in an infinitely deep potential?

A particle in an infinitely deep potential refers to a theoretical model in quantum mechanics where a particle is confined to a specific region and cannot escape due to an infinitely high potential barrier. This means that the particle's energy is limited to a certain range and it cannot exist outside of the potential well.

2. What is the significance of studying this problem?

Studying the particle in an infinitely deep potential problem allows scientists to better understand the behavior of particles in confined spaces and how they interact with potential barriers. This has applications in fields such as nanotechnology and quantum computing.

3. How is this problem solved mathematically?

The Schrödinger equation, a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics, is used to mathematically solve the particle in an infinitely deep potential problem. This equation describes the time evolution of a quantum system and can be solved using various techniques such as separation of variables or using numerical methods.

4. What are some key properties of the particle in an infinitely deep potential?

Some key properties of this system include the particle's energy being quantized, meaning it can only take on certain discrete values, and the probability of finding the particle at certain positions being dependent on the particle's energy. Additionally, the wave function of the particle will have nodes at certain points within the potential well.

5. Are there any real-world examples of this problem?

While the concept of an infinitely deep potential is a theoretical model, there are real-world systems that can be approximated by this problem. For example, an electron trapped in a semiconductor material can behave similarly to a particle in an infinitely deep potential well due to the potential barrier created by the material's structure.