1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem related to the vector potential of B

1. Jan 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle of mass m and charge q moves in a region with a magnetic field B(r) which is time independent. What is [itex]\frac{dA}{dt}[/itex] as seen by the particle.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since the B field is not varying with time, I know that the change in A will be due to the change in position of particle with time. It should be (∂A/∂x)vx + (∂A/∂y)vy + (∂A/∂z)vz . So can it be (v.∇)A. But I cannot seem to be able to go furthur.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

A is a scalar, so (v.∇)A n= v.(∇A), right? And ∇A =?

4. Jan 6, 2013 #3
    I am sorry I forgot to add that in the question it was given that since ∇.B = 0 , therefore we can write B = ∇XA , where A is a vector. So I am not sure that we can use the transformation of ∇ in the expression.

5. Jan 6, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

OK, I see. What makes you think (v.∇)A is an inadequate answer?

6. Jan 7, 2013 #5
    haruspex , I got hold of the original question paper today and have attached a screenshot of it. Please take a look at it to clearly understand the question , since I might not have explained it properly.

Since (dp/dt) = F = q(vXB) , hence if we can show that ∇X{d/dt( p + qA)} = 0 , it would mean that (d/dt(p + qA)) is a gradient of some function. But I haven't been able to prove that ∇X{d/dt( p + qA)} = 0 , by using dA/dt = (v.∇)A .

Attached Files:

7. Jan 7, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

##\frac{d\vec{p}}{dt} =q\vec{v}\times\vec{B}##
    ##\frac{d}{dt}\left(\vec{p}+q \vec{A}\right) = q \vec{v}\times \vec{B}+q \left( \vec{v}.\vec{\nabla} \right) \vec{A} = q \vec{v}\times \left( \vec{\nabla}\times\vec{A}\right)+q \left( \vec{v}.\vec{\nabla} \right) \vec{A} ##
    Here I venture into areas I know even less about, based what I read at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curl_%28mathematics%29: [Broken]
    ## \vec{v}\times \left(\vec{\nabla}\times\vec{A}\right) = \vec{\nabla_A}\left(\vec{v}.\vec{A}\right) - \left(\vec{v}.\vec{\nabla}\right)\vec{A}##
    So
    ##\frac{d}{dt}\left(\vec{p}+q \vec{A}\right) = q \vec{\nabla_A}\left(\vec{v}.\vec{A}\right)##
    Does that help?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  8. Jan 8, 2013 #7
    Thanks, that actually solves the problem. Although I will have to read up on the identities of vector calculus to feel satisfied on this question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook