1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem understanding divergence test

1. Nov 11, 2006 #1
    I am going through Boas.Ch-1.on infinite series.
    Can anyone help?
    1.May we use preliminary divergence test for series with +ve and -ve terms?How?For some situation occurs when we are supposed to make out (-1)^infinity

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2006 #2
    I am sorry, but you are going to need to be a little more specific about your problem. Recall from your Calculus courses that there a number of different divergence/convergence tests for infinite series.

4. Nov 11, 2006 #3
    Re divergence test

It says limit a#n as n tends to infinity when not equal to zero, the series diverges.And as a#n tends to zero as n tends to infinity is inconclusive.I want to know, whether a#n may be negative numbers.

5. Nov 11, 2006 #4
    Infinite series use [tex]n[/tex] to denote the number of the term in the series, you cannot of a 'negative' term (that I know of) in a series. I am not even sure what you are asking though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?