Problem understanding proportions with exponents

• Thread starter ksinelli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponents
In summary, the author is explaining the concept of proportionality, but is confusing exponents with the change in radius squared.
ksinelli
I just started reading my physics book again, and one of the very first things it talks about is proportionality. I understand the concept that two things are proportional if one gets multiplied by a certain factor and the other one has to be multiplied by the same factor. For instance, if John makes $10 per hour and works 3 hours, he makes $30. But if he works 6 hours we know that he makes $60 because the money he earns is proportional to the time he spends working.

However, it's when exponents are introduced into the proportion that I get confused. My physics book states that

"the area of a circle is proportional to the square of the radius (A=[tex]\pi[/tex]r[tex]^{2}[/tex], so A [tex]\propto[/tex] r[tex]^{2}[/tex]). The area must increase by the same factor as the radius squared, so if the radius doubles, the area increases by a factor of 2[tex]^{2}[/tex]=4"

I don't understand this. Why are they talking about the radius doubling when the proportionality deals with the radius squared? Shouldn't it be if the radius squared doubles, then the area also doubles? The way they are saying it is like... if the radius doubles, then the area quadruples.

I guess I *kind of* understand what they are doing. They are taking the exponent from the proportionality and using it on the multiplier, but why?

Why isn't it just "if the radius squared is multiplied by a factor, then the area is multiplied by the same factor" ?

Physics news on Phys.org
We don't usually talk about the change in the radius squared. I mean, if I offer you an upgrade of a pizza from a 10" pizza to a 12" pizza, I don't say, "I'll give you a pizza with a radius squared of 36 in2 instead of a radius squared of 25 in2."

Or maybe the variation will be as the square root of something (as happens often, especially in statistics). So now say the standard deviation of something varies as the square root of the number of things sampled. Or it varies as the inverse of something.

All in all, it is easier for everyone if we just talk about the change of something in absolute units, and then we convert for the type of proportionality in a particular system.

Look at a specific example- The area of a square 2 m on a side if 4 square meters. Now put identical square on the left and above that square and put a fourth square between those two. Those four squares now make a large square that has twice the length and width but four times the area.

HallsofIvy said:
Look at a specific example- The area of a square 2 m on a side if 4 square meters. Now put identical square on the left and above that square and put a fourth square between those two. Those four squares now make a large square that has twice the length and width but four times the area.

i don't deny that the proportionality is true. I've substituted numbers for r and the answer comes out just as the book says. I do appreciate your help though.

hgfalling said:
We don't usually talk about the change in the radius squared. I mean, if I offer you an upgrade of a pizza from a 10" pizza to a 12" pizza, I don't say, "I'll give you a pizza with a radius squared of 36 in2 instead of a radius squared of 25 in2."

All in all, it is easier for everyone if we just talk about the change of something in absolute units, and then we convert for the type of proportionality in a particular system.

I've thought about this also, and it seems to be in the right direction of understanding for me, but my problem with this is that if you double the radius first and then square that answer, it's a different answer than squaring the radius first and then doubling that answer. Which seems to be the logical way it should be done, because the proportionality states that A [tex]\propto[/tex] r^2. It seems that r^2 should be treated as a single entity and that you shouldn't be able to do anything to just r.

Perhaps I am just not stating clearly enough what it is exactly that has me confused, but I'm not sure how else to explain it.

What are exponents and how do they relate to proportions?

Exponents are a mathematical notation that represents repeated multiplication of a number by itself. They are written as a superscript number to the right of a base number. In proportions, exponents are used to represent the power or magnitude of a quantity in relation to another quantity.

How can I solve problems involving proportions with exponents?

To solve problems involving proportions with exponents, you can use the properties of exponents and cross-multiplication. First, simplify each proportion by applying the properties of exponents. Then, cross-multiply to solve for the unknown variable.

What are the common mistakes to avoid when working with proportions and exponents?

One common mistake is forgetting to apply the properties of exponents, such as the power rule and the product rule. Another mistake is not simplifying the exponents before cross-multiplying. It is important to carefully follow the order of operations and simplify each step to avoid errors.

Can proportions with exponents be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, proportions with exponents can be used to solve a variety of real-world problems, such as calculating population growth, determining interest rates, and analyzing scientific data. They provide a way to accurately represent and compare quantities that change over time.

Are there any tips for better understanding proportions with exponents?

One helpful tip is to practice simplifying exponents and solving proportion problems using various examples. It can also be helpful to visualize proportions as a balance scale, with each side representing a quantity and the exponents representing the weight or magnitude of that quantity.