Problem with Commutator of Gauge Covariant Derivatives?

The middle expression in the expansion shows that ##p\ x = -i \hbar + x\ p##. So it's not the case that ##p\ x = x\ p##, when ##p = -i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x}##. In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the gauge field term Fμν and its relation to the commutator of covariant derivatives. The summary also explains the meaning of multiplication of operators and how it applies to the calculation in question.
tomdodd4598
Hi there,

I have just read that the gauge field term Fμν is proportional to the commutator of covariant derivatives [Dμ,Dν]. However, when I try to calculate this commatator, taking the symmetry group to be U(1), I get the following:

[tex]\left[ { D }_{ \mu },{ D }_{ \nu } \right] =\left( { \partial }_{ \mu }-iq{ A }_{ \mu } \right) \left( { \partial }_{ \nu }-iq{ A }_{ \nu } \right) -\left( { \partial }_{ \nu }-iq{ A }_{ \nu } \right) \left( { \partial }_{ \mu }-iq{ A }_{ \mu } \right) ={ \partial }_{ \mu }{ \partial }_{ \nu }-{ q }^{ 2 }{ A }_{ \mu }{ A }_{ \nu }-iq\left( { \partial }_{ \mu }{ A }_{ \mu }+{ \partial }_{ \nu }{ A }_{ \mu } \right) -{ \partial }_{ \nu }{ \partial }_{ \mu }+{ q }^{ 2 }{ A }_{ \nu }{ A }_{ \mu }+iq\left( { \partial }_{ \nu }{ A }_{ \mu }+{ \partial }_{ \mu }{ A }_{ \mu } \right) =0[/tex]

So it seems that the commutator is zero, which doesn't seem right... where have I gone wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the ##A_\mu## commute, which you have used to get zero as result, then the ##D_\mu## commute as well, and vice versa, since ##[D_\mu,D_\nu]=[A_\mu,A_\nu]##.

Likes tomdodd4598
I'm not sure, I understand your calculation. You have to apply the operator to something. Let's take for simplicity a scalar field (Klein-Gordon field). Then
$$\mathrm{D}_{\mu} \mathrm{D}_{\nu} \phi=(\partial_{\mu} -\mathrm{i} A_{\mu}) (\partial_{\nu} -\mathrm{i} A_{\nu}) \phi = (\partial_{\mu} \partial_{\nu} -\mathrm{i} q \partial_{\mu} A_{\nu} -\mathrm{i} q A_{\nu} \partial_{\mu} - \mathrm{i} q A_{\mu} \partial_{\nu} - q^2A_{\mu} A_{\nu}) \phi.$$
From this subtract the expression with ##\mu## and ##\nu## exchanged. Finally you get
$$[\mathrm{D}_{\mu},\mathrm{D}_{\nu}]\psi=-\mathrm{i} q (\partial_{\mu} A_{\nu}-\partial_{\nu} A_{\mu}) \psi=-\mathrm{i} q F_{\mu \nu} \psi.$$
You can formally write
$$F_{\mu \nu}=\frac{1}{-\mathrm{i} g} [\mathrm{D}_{\mu},\mathrm{D}_{\nu}],$$
and you can generalize this to the case of non-Abelian gauge fields, where ##\phi## is some multiplet transforming under a representation of the gauge group.

In any case the point is that ##F_{\mu \nu}## (which is a "curvature" in the sense of differential geometry) transforms under the adjoint representation of the gauge group (for the Abelian case that implies that it's simply gauge invariant).

Likes Demystifier, tomdodd4598 and dextercioby
Understood - thanks! Yeh, I was being a little dumb :P

Last edited:
Why ##A^\mu\partial^\nu-A^\nu\partial^\mu=0?##

As it stands, this doesn't make sense. As I said above, a covariant derivative is an operator acting on a field, and to derive operator equations you should apply the operators to a field to see what comes out (see the calculation of the commutator in #3 as an example).

vanhees71 said:
As it stands, this doesn't make sense. As I said above, a covariant derivative is an operator acting on a field, and to derive operator equations you should apply the operators to a field to see what comes out (see the calculation of the commutator in #3 as an example).
I still don't understand what do you mean.

What don't you understand in the calculation in #3?

As I said the formula in #5 doesn't make sense. You have to apply the operator to a (scalar) field, and if you do so there's no reason why ##(A^{\mu} \partial^{\nu}-A^{\nu} \partial^{\mu})\Phi(x)## should be 0 for all fields ##\Phi##.

tomdodd4598 said:
So it seems that the commutator is zero, which doesn't seem right... where have I gone wrong?

This is a confusing, ambiguous aspect about the meaning of an expression such as ##\partial_\mu A_\nu##. In most contexts, this means "take the partial derivative of ##A_\nu##". Instead, here it means "operate on [whatever] by ##A_\nu##" and then operate on the result with ##\partial_\mu##.

The covariant derivative ##D_\mu## is an operator that operates on a function such as ##\psi##. So ##\partial_\mu## and ##A_\nu## are themselves considered operators, even though ##A_\nu## is a function, itself. The meaning of multiplication of operators is function composition: If ##P## and ##Q## are operators, then the meaning of ##P\ Q## is a third operator defined by

##P\ Q\ \psi = P\ (Q\ \psi)##

It would be clearer if people explicitly wrote ##P \circ Q## to mean the composition of ##P## and ##Q## as operators, but it's usually clear from context whether it means the composition of ##P## and ##Q## or whether it means the result of ##P## acting on ##Q##.

So the meaning of ##\partial_\mu A_\nu## is that operator defined by

##\partial_\mu A_\nu \psi = \partial_\mu (A_\nu \psi) = (\partial_\mu A_\nu) \psi + A_\nu (\partial_\mu \psi)##

which can be written as:

##[(\partial_\mu A_\nu) + A_\mu \partial_\nu] \psi##

where the first term, ##(\partial_\mu A_\nu)## really does mean the result of ##\partial_\mu## acting on ##A_\nu##.

So as operators, ##\partial_\mu A_\nu = (\partial_\mu A_\nu) + A_\nu \partial_\mu##

I know it's confusing. But it actually comes up in ordinary quantum mechanics. People write:

##[p, x] = p\ x - x\ p = -i \hbar##

So that implies ##p\ x = -i \hbar + x\ p##.

But if ##p = -i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x}##, then why isn't it the case that ##p\ x = -i\hbar##? Why is there a ##x \ p## there on the right-hand side of the equation? Because the meaning of ##p\ x## as an operator doesn't mean ##p## acting on ##x##. It means the functional composition of operators ##p## and ##x##, which is defined by:

##p\ x \psi = p (x \psi) ##

The expression ##p (x \psi)## can be expanded as:
##-i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x} (x \psi) = -i \hbar [(\frac{\partial}{\partial x} x) \psi + x (\frac{\partial}{\partial x} \psi)]##
##=-i \hbar [ \psi + x (\frac{\partial}{\partial x} \psi)]##
##=-i \hbar \psi + x (-i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \psi)##
##=(-i \hbar \psi+ x (p \psi)]##
##=(-i \hbar + x\ p) \psi##

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71, Demystifier and etotheipi

What is a commutator of gauge covariant derivatives?

A commutator of gauge covariant derivatives is a mathematical operator that measures the difference between two gauge covariant derivatives. It is used in gauge theories, such as quantum field theory, to understand the behavior of fields under gauge transformations.

What is the significance of the problem with commutators of gauge covariant derivatives?

The problem with commutators of gauge covariant derivatives is that they do not always commute, which means that the order in which they are applied can affect the final result. This can lead to inconsistencies and difficulties in making predictions in gauge theories.

How is the problem with commutators of gauge covariant derivatives addressed?

One way to address the problem is by using the concept of a gauge connection, which is a mathematical object that helps to define the transformation properties of fields under gauge transformations. By using this framework, the commutator problem can be resolved.

What are some practical applications of commutators of gauge covariant derivatives?

Commutators of gauge covariant derivatives are used in many areas of theoretical physics, including quantum field theory, particle physics, and cosmology. They are essential for understanding the behavior of fields and making predictions in these fields.

Are there any ongoing research efforts to further understand the problem with commutators of gauge covariant derivatives?

Yes, there are ongoing research efforts to better understand the problem and find solutions. Some approaches include using noncommutative geometry and supersymmetry to address the commutator problem. Additionally, there is ongoing research on the implications of the commutator problem for theories such as string theory and quantum gravity.