1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with expected value (Random Walk)

1. Jul 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello, I was reading Feynman's lectures on physics, and I'm having trouble following some deductions in the part about Probability. The random walk is a problem in which someone starts at x = 0 ant then takes a step forward (x = 1) or backward (x = -1) and after N steps de distance traveled is DN. I'll atach the images regarding the problem because it's kind of large.

I don't really understand how does he get to the part

DN2 = N

How is that?
    2. Relevant equations
    They are all on the images.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm thinking about <DN-12> = N - 1, but I don't know why would that be.

I'm sorry if this doesn't go here or if my post is a little hard to read. Thanks in advance.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2011 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you know some elementary probability theory it is easy. We have D = d1 + d2 + ... + dN, where di = distance moved in step i (di = -1 or +1 with probability 1/2 each). The random variables d1, d2, ... are _independent_. There is a basic theorem in probability that says Variance(sum) = sum(Variance), provided that the terms are independent. Thus, Var(D) = N*Var(d1), and Var(d1) = E(d1 - m1)^2, where m1 = E(d1) = mean of d1. Since m1 = 0 we have Var(d1) = E(d1^2) = (1/2)*(-1)^2 + (1/2)*(1^2) = 1. (Here, E = standard probabilistic notation for "expectation" = "mean"; you might prefer to use < > instead; that is, EX = <X>.)

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook