1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's the standard deviation of values in the histogram bar

1. Nov 17, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If one bar of a histogram has been generated with ##n## entries from a total of ##x## measurements, i.e. the event occurs randomly ##n## times in the ##x## event interval, then what is the standard deviation of values in this bar? Let ##k## be the range of values that could have been measured for this particular bar of the histogram, and assume that the expectation value of ##k## is ##n##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm finding the wording tricky to understand. ##n## is the number of events in the interval, and the average value of ##k## is also ##n##? The variance is the square of the distance from the mean and if all the events were equally likely, I'd divide by ##n## and have something like
    ##\frac{1}{n}\Sigma(k_i - n)^2##
    But I'm not sure that's what it means when it says the event occurs randomly a total of ##n## times. I'd really appreciate any hints on how to tackle this, thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It is strange to define k as a range. The range should be 0 to x.

I guess you have to assume that the x measurements are independent.

4. Nov 17, 2017 #3
    Would you say then that ##k## is the class width of the single histogram bar being considered? That's how I've interpreted it. I also thought it would be quite a strange coincidence if the number of events ##n## recorded, which corresponds to the area of the bar, happened to be also the average value of ##k##. Which is what I take all the above to mean.

I think the wording is very confusing, but I've written it as it was given to us.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted