Sum of the Expected Values of Two Discrete Random Variables

In summary, the expected value of aX and bY is aE[X]+bE[Y] where X and Y are random variables and a and b are constants.
TheBigDig
Homework Statement
Prove that E[aX+bY] = aE[X]+bE[Y]
Relevant Equations
[tex]E[X] = \sum_{x=0}^{\infty} x p(x)[/tex]
Apologies if this isn't the right forum for this. In my stats homework we have to prove that the expected value of aX and bY is aE[X]+bE[Y] where X and Y are random variables and a and b are constants. I have come across this proof but I'm a little rusty with summations. How is the jump from the second line to the third line made?
1602533296609.png

Physics news on Phys.org
The probability, ##P_X(x)##, for X taking a fixed value, x, is the sum over all values of Y of ##P_{XY}(x,y)##. So that is substituted in the third line. Likewise, the sum over all values of X of ##P_{XY}(x,y)## is replaced by ##P_Y(y)##.

It's because$$\sum_y x P_{XY}(x,y) = x \sum_y P_{XY}(x,y) = xP_X(x)$$where the second equality follows from the law of total probability.

N.B. I think you're missing a ##\sum## before the ##y P_Y(y)##

TheBigDig said:
How is the jump from the second line to the third line made?

Have you studied joint distributions and their associated "marginal distributions"?

As an example, suppose ##P_{X,Y}## is given by
##P_{X,Y}(1,1) = 0.4##
##P_{X,Y} (1,2) = 0.2##
##P_{X,Y} (2,1) = 0.3##
##P_{X,Y}(2,3) = 0.1##

The associated marginal distribution for ##X## is:
##P_X(1) = 0.6 = P_{X,Y}(1,1) + P_{X,Y}(1,2)##
##P_X(2) = 0.4##

The term ##\sum_x \sum_y x P_{X,Y}(x,y)## denotes:

##( (1) ( P_{X,Y}(1,1) + (1)P_{X,Y}(1,2) ) + ( (2) P_{X,Y}(2,1) + (2)P_{X,Y}(2,2))##
## = (1) P_X(1) + (2)P_X(x)##

In the next line, the term ##\sum_x x P_X(x)## also denotes
## (1) P_X(1) + (2)P_X(2) ##

Stephen Tashi said:
Have you studied joint distributions and their associated "marginal distributions"?

As an example, suppose ##P_{X,Y}## is given by
##P_{X,Y}(1,1) = 0.4##
##P_{X,Y} (1,2) = 0.2##
##P_{X,Y} (2,1) = 0.3##
##P_{X,Y}(2,3) = 0.1##

The associated marginal distribution for ##X## is:
##P_X(1) = 0.6 = P_{X,Y}(1,1) + P_{X,Y}(1,2)##
##P_X(2) = 0.4##

The term ##\sum_x \sum_y x P_{X,Y}(x,y)## denotes:

##( (1) ( P_{X,Y}(1,1) + (1)P_{X,Y}(1,2) ) + ( (2) P_{X,Y}(2,1) + (2)P_{X,Y}(2,2))##
## = (1) P_X(1) + (2)P_X(x)##

In the next line, the term ##\sum_x x P_X(x)## also denotes
## (1) P_X(1) + (2)P_X(2) ##

Okay yes, this definitely seems like something I need to read up on. Our instructor is a little handwavy at the moment saying we'll come across these concepts later but I'm one of those people who needs to understand each element.

etotheipi said:
It's because$$\sum_y x P_{XY}(x,y) = x \sum_y P_{XY}(x,y) = xP_X(x)$$where the second equality follows from the law of total probability.

N.B. I think you're missing a ##\sum## before the ##y P_Y(y)##

Thank you as well. Yes I think it is missing that. I found it online and just copied and pasted the image.

1. What is the definition of "Sum of the Expected Values of Two Discrete Random Variables"?

The sum of the expected values of two discrete random variables is a mathematical calculation that represents the average value that would be obtained if the two random variables were repeatedly measured or observed. It is calculated by adding the expected values of each individual random variable.

2. How is the sum of the expected values of two discrete random variables calculated?

To calculate the sum of the expected values of two discrete random variables, you first need to find the expected value of each individual random variable. This is done by multiplying each possible value of the random variable by its corresponding probability, and then adding all of these values together. Once you have the expected values for each random variable, you simply add them together to get the sum of the expected values.

3. What is the significance of the sum of the expected values of two discrete random variables?

The sum of the expected values of two discrete random variables is an important concept in probability and statistics. It allows us to calculate the expected value of a combined random variable, which can be useful in predicting outcomes and making decisions. It also helps us understand the behavior of two random variables when they are combined.

4. Can the sum of the expected values of two discrete random variables be negative?

Yes, the sum of the expected values of two discrete random variables can be negative. This can happen if one or both of the random variables have a negative expected value. For example, if one random variable has an expected value of -2 and the other has an expected value of 1, the sum of their expected values would be -1.

5. How is the sum of the expected values of two discrete random variables used in real-world applications?

The sum of the expected values of two discrete random variables is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in finance, economics, and engineering. It can be used to calculate the expected return on an investment, to predict the outcome of a business decision, or to analyze the performance of a system. It is a valuable tool for making informed decisions based on probability and statistics.