1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with natural units in Cosmology

1. Feb 24, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Reading about the raditation dominated era I saw that the radiation energy density today was given by:

[tex]
    \rho_r = \frac{\pi^2}{30} g_* T^4 = 8.09 * 10^{-34} g/cm^3
    [/tex]

where [itex]g_*=3.36[/itex] is the degree of freedom of the radiation (equivalent) and [itex]T=2.75 K[/itex] is the CBR temperature today.

The problem is that they dont give me the exact expression and so this relation seems to be dimensionally wrong. I suppose that the full relation must be

[tex]
    \rho_r = \frac{\pi^2}{30} g_* \frac{(kT)^4}{(hc)^3}
    [/tex]

and this way the relation would be dimensionally correct. But when I put the values on it I get

[tex]
    \rho_r = 2.88 * 10^{-22} J/cm^3 = 3.20 * 10^{-36} g/cm^3
    [/tex]

and this is by far wrong. I have spend so much time around this that I am starting to get frustrated!
    Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2007 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you use [itex] \hbar [/itex] instead of "h" in your equation, it works out (the result is [itex] (2 \pi)^3 [/itex] times larger).

Patrick

4. Feb 24, 2007 #3
    Humm! You mean:
    [tex]
    \rho_r = \frac{\pi^2}{30} g_* \frac{(kT)^4}{(\hbar c)^3} (2\pi)^3
    [/tex]

Yes, in fact it works out but does this make any sense? Is this because that in natural units is the [itex]\hbar[/itex] that is equal to 1 instead of [itex]h[/itex]?

Thanks a lot by the way!!!!!

5. Feb 24, 2007 #4

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

EDIT : No, this is not what I mean You don't have to put in the extra factor of (2 pi)^3. I mean
    [tex]
    \rho_r = \frac{\pi^2}{30} g_* \frac{(kT)^4}{(\hbar c)^3}
    [/tex]
    This result will be (2 pi)^3 times larger than the equation written with only h.

That's what I mean, yes. Usually, by "natural units", people mean that they set [itex] \hbar [/itex] equal to 1, not "h". Of course, one could also decide to set h to one instead, but this is not what is usually done.

You are very welcome.

Patrick

Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?