Problem with source term in qft

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of source terms in quantum field theory (qft). It is mentioned that a static point source will interact with a massless field, causing a constant acceleration and leading to a catastrophic behavior in the system. This is known as an infrared catastrophe, which involves the excitation of longer and longer wavelength waves. The control of this in qft involves demanding that the integral over space of the source density vanishes, resulting in neutral systems. However, it is noted that in qft, Lagrangians for the interaction of electrons and photons are often written without considering positive counter-charges.
DrDu
Science Advisor
I have a problem understanding the effect of source terms in qft.
I am interested in understanding how a static point source will interact with a
massless field.
Let me consider a simple example of a linear chain of masses coupled by some springs.
In the continuum limit, the Lagrangian of that model will only depend on the derivatives of the displacement of the masses and not on the absolute displacements. In qft such a field is called "massless". Now a scalar source term e.g. [tex]\delta(x) \phi(x)[/tex] corresponds to a force acting on one mass point on the chain. Obviously, this will lead to constant acceleration of the system (or of ever growing parts of it). The Hamiltonian will fail to be bounded from below.
Apparently, adding a source term leads to a catastrophe. This will happen also for the discrete chain, so it isn't a problem of renormalization.
I guess this is what is called an infrared catastrophe as it involves the excitation of waves of longer and longer wavelength. How is this controlled in qft?

Physics news on Phys.org
I shall try to give an answer myself: Probably by demanding that the integral over space of the source density vanishes, i.e., considering only over-all neutral systems.
However, e.g. in qft people write down Lagrangians for the interaction of electrons and photons without caring about the positive counter-charges.

1. What is a source term in quantum field theory?

A source term in quantum field theory is a mathematical quantity that represents the external influence on a quantum field. It is an essential component in the equations of motion for quantum fields and is used to describe interactions between different fields.

2. How does the source term affect the behavior of a quantum field?

The source term directly affects the behavior of a quantum field by altering its equations of motion. It can change the field's energy distribution, particle production and decay rates, and other properties.

3. What is the significance of the problem with source term in qft?

The problem with the source term in qft is significant because it can lead to divergences and inconsistencies in calculations. It also affects the renormalization process, which is crucial for making meaningful predictions in quantum field theory.

4. How do scientists deal with the problem with source term in qft?

Scientists deal with the problem with source term in qft by using renormalization techniques to remove the divergences and ensure that the equations of motion are well-behaved. They also carefully consider the choice of the source term and its implications for the physical interpretation of their results.

5. Are there any proposed solutions to the problem with source term in qft?

Yes, there are ongoing research efforts to address the problem with source term in qft. Some proposed solutions include alternative formulations of quantum field theory and modifications to existing theories. However, the problem remains an active area of study in theoretical physics.