QFT Causality: Real Scalar Field & Probability

In summary, the conversation discusses causality in quantum field theory and how it is preserved through the relation that a measurement at one point cannot influence a measurement at another point. However, this does not mean that the probability of going from one point to another is zero. The correlation between the values at these points is described by ##D(x - y)##. This measure is not the probability, but rather an indication of how correlated the values are.
Aleolomorfo
Hello everyone!
I have a question regarding the causality in QFT.
If I take into consideration a real scalar field and I calculate:
$$[\phi(x),\phi(y)] = 0 \space \space \space \space \space \text{if (x-y)}^2 < 0$$
Thanks to this relation we state that causality in QFT is preserved: a measurement in ##x## cannot talk to another one made in ##y##.
However, this is not the same of saying that the probability of going from ##x## to ##y## is ##0##, as a matter of fact it is ##D(x-y) \neq 0##. So the probability is not zero. I do not understand how we can link these two results coherently. From my perspective they are in contradiction (I know they are not, I'd like to understand why): the latter is what we call strictly causality and so it is broken.
Then usually books make another step forward. If I calculate the probability of going from ##y## to ##x## I found ##D(y-x)##. As long as ##x-y## is spacelike there is a continuos Lorentz transformation between ##x-y## and ##y-x## and since ##D(x)## is Lorentz invariant :
$$P(x \rightarrow y) = P(y \rightarrow y)$$
I understand the single steps, but I do not find the link between them. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's best to think of ##D(x - y)## not as the probability to go from x to y, but as a measure of how correlated the value of ##\phi(x)## is with the value ##\phi(y)##.

Likes Demystifier

1. What is QFT causality?

QFT causality refers to the causal structure in Quantum Field Theory (QFT), which is a theoretical framework that combines quantum mechanics and special relativity. It is based on the idea that physical interactions between particles occur through the exchange of virtual particles, which travel at or below the speed of light. QFT causality ensures that these interactions follow a consistent and predictable pattern.

2. What is a real scalar field in QFT?

A real scalar field in QFT is a mathematical representation of a physical field that has a real-valued magnitude at each point in space and time. It describes the behavior of a particle that has no spin and interacts with other particles through its energy, rather than its charge or other properties. Examples of real scalar fields include the Higgs field and the inflaton field.

3. How does QFT incorporate probability?

In QFT, probability is incorporated through the use of probability amplitudes, which are complex numbers that represent the likelihood of a particular particle interaction occurring. These amplitudes are used to calculate the probability of a specific outcome, such as the probability of a particle being detected at a certain location after a collision. QFT also uses the concept of wave functions to describe the probabilistic behavior of particles.

4. What role does causality play in QFT?

Causality is a fundamental principle in QFT, as it ensures that physical interactions between particles follow a consistent and predictable pattern. In other words, causality ensures that the effects of a cause occur after the cause itself, and that no faster-than-light communication or influence can occur between particles. This principle is essential for maintaining the consistency and validity of QFT predictions.

5. Can QFT violate causality?

No, QFT cannot violate causality. The theory is built upon the principle of causality, and all of its predictions and calculations are based on this principle. QFT has been extensively tested and has consistently been found to be in agreement with experimental evidence, further supporting the idea that causality is a fundamental and unbreakable aspect of the theory.