What is a "source term" & what is it physically in QFT?

• Thread starter "Don't panic!"
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qft Term
In summary, a source term in an inhomogeneous ODE refers to the function on the right hand side of the equation that sources the behavior of the function on the left hand side. In the context of quantum field theory, the Feynman propagator for a scalar field can be derived by considering the Klein-Gordon equation with a source term, which can be interpreted as a force or current density acting on the field. This concept is also seen in classical electrodynamics, where a current density sources a magnetic field, and can be used to understand the nature of a source term in QFT.
"Don't panic!"
Given an inhomogeneous ODE of the form $$a_{n}(x)y^{(n)}(x)+a_{n-1}(x)y^{(n-1)}(x)+\cdots +a_{2}(x)y''(x)+a_{1}(x)y'(x)+a_{0}(x)y(x)=f(x)$$ where ##y^{(n)}(x)\equiv \frac{d^{n}y(x)}{dx^{n}}##, why is the function ##f(x)## on the right hand side referred to as a "source term" ? In what way does it source left hand side (or the function ##y(x)##)?
The reason I ask as in quantum field theory the Feynman propagator for a scalar field ##\phi (x)## can be derived by considering the Klein-Gordon equation with a so-called "source term" ##J(x)##, i.e. $$\left(\Box +m^{2}\right)\phi (x)=J(x)$$ where ##\Box\equiv\eta^{\mu\nu}\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial x^{\mu}\partial x^{\nu}}##. I'm unsure as to how this should be interpreted physically, or whether it is just a useful mathematical trick that bears no physical interpretation?! (I understand the derivation of the Feynman propagator for a scalar field from this, but I'm unsure how to motivate the introduction of the source term ##J(x)## on the right hand side of the K-G equation?!)

N.B. I originally posted this in the differential equations forum, but it was suggested that perhaps it would be more suited in this forum, given what the question is relating to.

Physics news on Phys.org
"Don't panic!" said:
why is the function f(x) on the right hand side referred to as a "source term" ?
In many simple but paradigmatic situations it is a force switched on at time ##t=0##. For ##t<0## the system is on its own, for ##t>0## it responds to the force. Thus the force is the source of the modified behavior. For example, you put a weight on a spring and it starts oscillating.

Did you study electrodynamics? I hope so, this comes before QM which comes before QFT (in a normal university syllabus), so this discipline should teach you about wave equations and field sources.

Likes Demystifier
dextercioby said:
Did you study electrodynamics? I hope so, this comes before QM which comes before QFT (in a normal university syllabus), so this discipline should teach you about wave equations and field sources.

Yes, I did (although it's been a while since I learned it), but I guess I was just viewing the scalar field differently for some reason :-\

For example, I get that in classical electrodynamics the electric current density ##\mathbf{J}## (along with a time varying electric field) sources a spatially varying magnetic field. Can one translate this over to QFT to say that ##J(x)## sources a propagating scalar field of mass ##m##?

(Could one think of it classically in terms of a force, e.g. from Newton's 2nd law we could say that a force ##\mathbf{f}## sources an acceleration ##\mathbf{a}## of a particle of mass ##m##, i.e. ##\mathbf{f}=m\mathbf{a}##? Would be fair to say that this is the classical analogue of ##\left(\Box +m^{2}\right)\phi (x)=J(x)##? [In this sense, ##J(x)## would be acting on the field ##\phi## sourcing a propagation in the field]).

Last edited:
Electrodynamics explains to you what a source term is. A QFT book emphasizing the relevance was written by David Bailin and Alexander Love. "Introduction to gauge Field theory", IOP, 1993.

What is a "source term"?

A "source term" refers to a mathematical term in quantum field theory (QFT) that represents the contribution of external sources to the dynamics of a quantum system. These sources can be particles, fields, or other external interactions that affect the behavior of the system.

What is a "source term" physically in QFT?

In QFT, the "source term" has physical significance as it represents the interaction between the quantum fields and the external sources. It can be thought of as the driving force behind the evolution of the quantum system, as it dictates how the fields will respond to the presence of these external sources.

How is a "source term" calculated in QFT?

The "source term" is typically calculated using mathematical techniques such as Feynman diagrams, which allow for the visualization and computation of the interaction between the fields and external sources. These calculations involve the use of various mathematical tools, such as perturbation theory and renormalization, to obtain accurate results.

Why is the "source term" important in QFT?

The "source term" is essential in QFT as it allows for the prediction and understanding of physical phenomena at the quantum level. It plays a crucial role in calculating observables, such as particle scattering amplitudes, and provides insights into the behavior and dynamics of quantum systems.

How does the "source term" affect the evolution of a quantum system?

The "source term" directly influences the evolution of a quantum system by determining the magnitude and direction of the quantum fields' response to external sources. It can cause the system to undergo various changes, such as particle creation and annihilation, and can also affect the overall behavior and properties of the system.