Problem with summing a divergent series

In summary: S converges. In summary, the conversation addresses the mathematical error in summing divergent series. The procedure of multiplying the series by 1 and substituting (2-1) for 1 only works when both series are convergent. Standard rules of algebra may not apply to divergent series. This method can only be used to sum a convergent geometric series.
leehufford
Hello,

The point of this thread is to find the mathematical error in summing divergent series. For example the series: 1+2+4+8+16+32+64+...+... (doubling the numbers, or alternatively: increasing powers of 2).

I've seen the argument that you multiply the series by 1, then substitute (2-1) for 1. All of the terms cancel except for -1 (the series appears to add to -1).

Now, I tried the same thing but by substituting (3-2) for 1 instead of (2-1), and the series still tends to infinity, which leads me to believe the (-1) of the (2-1) is somehow special.

But also, I noticed that two infinite power series can be multiplied. For example, the series for e^x and the series for sin(x) can be multiplied term wise to give the series for sin(x)e^x.

So my two questions are:

1.) Where is the mathematical fault in the procedure first described? I originally thought you can't multiply a scalar by an infinite series, but it seems that if you can multiply two infinite series you ought to be able to multiply a scalar by an infinite series.

2.) Also, why does substituting (3-2) instead of (2-1) change the result? Thanks a ton in advance,

Lee

Physics news on Phys.org
1) The rule ##\sum a_n-\sum b_n=\sum(a_n-b_n)##, which is used here to cancel terms, is only necessarily true when both ##\sum a_n## and ##\sum b_n## are convergent.

2) Standard rules of algebra aren't necessarily true for divergent series.

Likes 1 person
I've seen the argument that you multiply the series by 1, then substitute (2-1) for 1. All of the terms cancel except for -1 (the series appears to add to -1).

Now, I tried the same thing but by substituting (3-2) for 1 instead of (2-1), and the series still tends to infinity, which leads me to believe the (-1) of the (2-1) is somehow special.

You definitely can multiply an infinite series by a constant, but I am guessing you aren't cancelling the terms correctly. Consider just the sum going to N, and you can take the limit N→∞ afterwards:

[tex]
\sum_{i=0}^{N}2^i = (2-1)\sum_{i=0}^N 2^i = \left(2 + 4 + 8 + \cdots + \cdots 2\cdot 2^N\right) -\left(1+2+4+\cdots + 2^N\right)=2\cdot 2^N -1
[/tex]

which you can see is still divergent.

gopher_p said:
1) The rule ##\sum a_n-\sum b_n=\sum(a_n-b_n)##, which is used here to cancel terms, is only necessarily true when both ##\sum a_n## and ##\sum b_n## are convergent.

2) Standard rules of algebra aren't necessarily true for divergent series.

That was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

So this method can only be used in summing a convergent, geometric series?

[itex]S=\displaystyle\large\sum\limits_{i=0}^{\infty} 2^i = 2S+1[/itex]

Then [itex]S=-1[/itex]

1. What is a divergent series?

A divergent series is a mathematical series in which the sum of its terms increases without bound or approaches infinity.

2. Why is summing a divergent series problematic?

Summing a divergent series is problematic because it involves adding infinite terms, which is impossible to do accurately. Additionally, the sum of a divergent series does not have a finite value.

3. Can't we just use an approximation to sum a divergent series?

While it is possible to use approximations to sum a divergent series, these approximations may not always be accurate and can lead to errors in calculations.

4. Are there any real-world applications for divergent series?

Yes, divergent series can be used in physics and engineering to model systems that do not have a finite solution, such as fluid dynamics and electromagnetic fields.

5. How can we deal with the problem of summing a divergent series?

One approach is to use regularization techniques, which involve assigning a finite value to the sum of a divergent series. Another approach is to identify the underlying pattern or structure of the series and use that to find a meaningful result.