1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problems getting started on this problem

1. Sep 17, 2006 #1
    Hi I am trying to solve the following problem.

f(x) = 2x^3 - 5x - 5
    show that there is atleast one value of c for which f(x) = pie

I am assuming they want me to use pie = 3.14

so I did the following

2x^3 - 5x - 5 = 3.14

but then I dont know how to solve for x can someone please give me some kinda hint to get me started?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2006 #2

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I sure hope they don't!

f(x) = 2x^3 - 5x - 5 is a continuous function (right?), what kinds of theorems or results do you have on continuous functions that might be useful here?

4. Sep 17, 2006 #3
    ok so i have to use the intermediate value theorem. i still dont understand the pie thing... if its not 3.14 then what do they want me to use for pie.

so with the IVT i would do the following

1] define an inteval [a, b] such that when i find f(a) and f(b) one value is bigger than "pie" and the other value is less than "pie"

2] I would also have to show that f is continous in that interval [a, b]

so for example if i find out that f(a) < "pie" < f(b) then i can say that yes there does exist a point c where f(c) = "pie"

but I dont know what "pie" is i guess so I'm not sure what I am looking for.

5. Sep 17, 2006 #4

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

pi=3.141526535... it does not equal any truncated sum with a finite number of digits (it also has no "e" on the end). For your purposes you can probably safely assume some bounds like 3<=pi<=4 and find an a and b where:

f(a) < 3 <= pi <= 4 < f(b)

as for continuity, f(x) is a polynomial. You should know something about polynomials and continuity.

6. Sep 18, 2006 #5
    thanks got it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?