Problems in automotive engineering

In summary, the current challenges in automotive industry are finding ways to reduce emissions and catalystising NOx.
physior
hello!

can you tell me please what are the current challenges in automotive industry?

please be as specific as possible, for example, it won't help to say to make engines more efficient, but it will help to say to find a way to harvest the kinetic energy of the exhaust gases

also, elaborating on the problem will help, ie. what has been done so far and what is the problem exactly, we need a stronger material? a new electronic circuit? a new mechanical mechanism?

thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I work in Tata Technologies, a service provider to an OEM, Tata Motors.

From what I've observed here, most of challenges taken up are weight reduction, packaging, changing placements of components on an engine for introducing new components.

Things like using the energy of exhaust gases are already in use. But there's always something going on to improve current models. There's a component called a turbocharger for that. A task I'd taken up was to introduce a new model of a turbocharger on an old engine.

A lot of work is done on reports of failed components. When there is a report on failure, the reason is looked into and a solution is worked out.

Another thing undergoing a lot of resaerch is hybrid engines.

Sorry I can't provide too many details as I'm pretty new here. Hope this helped a bit.

physior said:
hello!

can you tell me please what are the current challenges in automotive industry?

please be as specific as possible, for example, it won't help to say to make engines more efficient, but it will help to say to find a way to harvest the kinetic energy of the exhaust gases

also, elaborating on the problem will help, ie. what has been done so far and what is the problem exactly, we need a stronger material? a new electronic circuit? a new mechanical mechanism?

thanks!
One problem is how to reduce or eliminate the emission of particulate below 10um from Diesel engines. And another is how to catalyse NOx with a Diesel engine. These emissions are becoming serious for the larger cities. One solution is to use a petrol engine, but how do we obtain the high efficiency of the Diesel?

1. What are the most common problems in automotive engineering?

The most common problems in automotive engineering include engine failure, transmission issues, electrical system malfunctions, suspension problems, and brake failures.

2. How do these problems affect the overall performance of a vehicle?

These problems can greatly impact the overall performance of a vehicle, causing it to break down or operate inefficiently. Engine failures can result in loss of power and acceleration, transmission issues can lead to difficulty shifting gears, electrical malfunctions can affect various systems such as the air conditioning and lighting, suspension problems can cause a bumpy and uncomfortable ride, and brake failures can be extremely dangerous and result in accidents.

3. What causes these problems in automotive engineering?

There are a variety of reasons why these problems may occur in automotive engineering, including wear and tear over time, faulty parts or components, poor maintenance, design flaws, and external factors such as accidents or extreme weather conditions.

4. How can these problems be prevented?

Regular maintenance and servicing is crucial in preventing these problems in automotive engineering. This includes routine oil changes, tire rotations, brake inspections, and other necessary maintenance tasks. It is also important to address any warning signs or unusual noises as soon as they arise, and to use high-quality parts and components in repairs.

5. What steps are taken to solve these problems in automotive engineering?

When these problems occur, the first step is to diagnose the issue and identify the root cause. This may involve conducting tests and inspections, as well as using specialized equipment and technology. Once the problem is identified, appropriate repairs or replacements can be made. It is also important to continuously monitor and evaluate the performance of the vehicle to prevent future problems.