Problems involving Newton's law

  • #1
these were the questions:

1.Heather can apply a force of 72 N to a wagon in which sits her little brother, Bryce. The combined mass of Bryce and the wagon is 48 kg. If starting from rest, how much speed will the wagon pick up after Heather has pushed the wagon for 3s?

2.When the wagon in the previous problem reaches a speed of 8 m/s, Heather lets go and Bryce puts on the brakes. If the wagon comes to rest 6s later, how much force did the breaks apply?

for 1 i thought you had to first convert bryce's mass into Newtons, so i did 48kg/10 and i got 4.8 N is the weight of the wagon and Bryce. But after that i got lost. Do i have to find a resultant force? I really have no clue what to do in these problems besides what i just told u
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
9,621
7
For the first question all you need to consider is Newton's second law.
 
  • #3
Check the units of (48 kg) / (10 m/s^2). Compare this units to Newtons.

Also, why are you converting mass to weight? :smile:
 
  • #4
radou
Homework Helper
3,120
6
You can use the impulse law, too.
 
  • #5
i put this as an answer:

Since we’re trying to find the acceleration I used the formula A= f/m A=72/48. Therefore the acceleration is 1.5 m/s2. So after three seconds (1.5*3) they would have been going at 4.5 m/s2.
 
  • #6
is that right?..and also the second question i need help with
 
  • #7
radou
Homework Helper
3,120
6
rottentreats64 said:
is that right?..and also the second question i need help with

Yes, that is perfectly right. Show us some work on the second question, I'm sure you can at least try to solve it.
 
  • #8
Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
9,621
7
rottentreats64 said:
i put this as an answer:

Since we’re trying to find the acceleration I used the formula A= f/m A=72/48. Therefore the acceleration is 1.5 m/s2. So after three seconds (1.5*3) they would have been going at 4.5 m/s2.
Just a slight correction. Their velocity would be in m/s not m/s2
 
  • #9
thanks but heres the question with the second problem, how do i know the friction? is there a formula i could use for it? and i dont undersatnd how would i could find the force that the breaks applied...could an1 explain this concept to me please?
 
  • #10
radou
Homework Helper
3,120
6
rottentreats64 said:
thanks but heres the question with the second problem, how do i know the friction? is there a formula i could use for it? and i dont undersatnd how would i could find the force that the breaks applied...could an1 explain this concept to me please?

There is no friction force in the problem, there's only the force of the break. The second part of the problem is just kinematics, and an application of Newton's 2nd law in the end. So, what equations cross your mind?
 
Last edited:
  • #11
oh lol, i basically had no clue what to do for the second problem so i was guessing friction was involved
 
  • #12
radou
Homework Helper
3,120
6
rottentreats64 said:
oh lol, i basically had no clue what to do for the second problem so i was guessing friction was involved

Simply use the equation for velocity in the case of uniform acceleration (i.e. deceleration in this case): v(t) = Vo - at. You know what the velocity must equal at t = 6 seconds, and you know the initial velocity Vo, so you can calculate the acceleration easily.
 
Last edited:

Related Threads on Problems involving Newton's law

Replies
4
Views
776
Replies
6
Views
3K
Replies
5
Views
3K
Replies
47
Views
2K
Replies
3
Views
11K
Replies
1
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
4
Views
8K
  • Last Post
Replies
6
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
2K
Replies
4
Views
1K
Top