Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problems involving two distributions

1. Oct 30, 2008 #1
    "Pat arrives at the bus stop at some time U, which is uniformly distributed between time 0 and time 1, and waits for a bus. The first bus arrives at time T which is exponentially distributed with mean 1/μ. Assume that U and T are independent. What is the probability that Pat catches the first bus?"

This is not a homework problem but a practice problem in the text which no answer is supplied for. I have the following integral:

Pr {U < T} = *Integral from 0 to infinity* Pr {U < T | U = s}fU(s) ds

Please tell me how I can solve these kinds of problems.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2008 #2
    "The" rule to remember is a function of random variable(s) is a random variable itself, and its distribution must be derived from the distribution(s) of the known random variable(s). I would have approached this problem by defining S = T - U, derive its distribution, then calculate Prob{S > 0}.

EnumaElish

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?