Problems regarding electrostatic forces in everyday levitation

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of oxygen abundance, force per atom, and electric force in the context of A-level physics. The speaker is struggling to understand the relationship between oxygen atoms and the force per atom, as well as the role of weight and electrostatic forces.
jackiepollock
Hello! I'm reading this part of the A-level physics book and finding a few places that I couldn't wrap my head around. They are underlined.

1) When saying oxygen, is it saying that oxygen is the most abundant element in the shoe atoms?

2)I am not too sure why the force per atom is shared between four electrons when there are eight in each oxygen atom. Despite the explanation it has given, I don't finding making sense and couldn't picture it.

3)When I follow the calculations, I see that the electric force is basically derived from the weight of the man, is it because the weight has caused a normal force, which is assumed to be the electric force?

Thank you for the help!
Screenshot 2021-08-03 at 19.54.05.png
Screenshot 2021-08-03 at 19.54.10.png

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Both floor and shoe, I think. Even if this isn't true of the bulk materials, there is probably an oxide layer on the surface.
2. On average, at any given moment, four electrons will be on one side of the atom and four on the other. So there will be 4 "facing out" from the surface.
3. The electrostatic repulsion of the electrons (pushing the man up) balances the weight of the man (pulling him down).

What is electrostatic levitation?

Electrostatic levitation is a method of levitating objects using the force of static electricity. It involves creating an electric field that counteracts the force of gravity, allowing objects to float in mid-air.

What are some examples of electrostatic levitation in everyday life?

Some examples of electrostatic levitation in everyday life include levitating toys, levitating trains, and levitating speakers. It is also used in industrial processes such as material handling and coating.

What are the main challenges in achieving stable levitation using electrostatic forces?

The main challenges in achieving stable levitation using electrostatic forces include maintaining a consistent electric field, controlling the distance between the object and the levitating surface, and minimizing external disturbances.

What are the potential applications of electrostatic levitation?

Electrostatic levitation has potential applications in transportation, material handling, and medical devices. It can also be used for scientific research, such as studying the properties of materials in microgravity environments.

What advancements have been made in electrostatic levitation technology?

Advancements in electrostatic levitation technology include the development of more advanced control systems, improvements in materials used for levitating surfaces, and the use of computer simulations to optimize levitation parameters.