Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problems regarding group presentations and submodules

1. May 25, 2010 #1
    Hi! I'm studying for an exam in group- and ring theory, and I have some questions about two problems that I have not managed to solve. I would greatly appreciate help.

Problem 1. Determine the order of the group G with the presentation [tex](a,b \big\vert\: a^{6} = 1, b^{2} = a^{3}, ba = a^{-1}b)[/tex].

For the first problem, the relation [tex]ba = a^{-1}b[/tex] enables us to conclude that the order of [tex]G[/tex] is less than- or equal to 24 (we can collect all the a's to the left, and the largest possible orders for a and b are 6 and 4, respectively. Moreover, using the relation [tex]b^{2} = a^{3}[/tex] we can write all elements as [tex]a^{k}b^{j}[/tex] as [tex]k[/tex] lies in the range 0 to 5, and j is either 0 or 1. This shows that the group has order less than or equal to 12. Also, the group has order [tex]\geq 6[/tex], simply since we can construct a group of that order satisfying the relations (assume a is of order 3). My problem is that I cannot find clear arguments for why the group should have order 12, which I believe. Could I in some nice way just prove that for the collection of symbols [tex]a^{k}b^{j}[/tex] above, the group axioms hold? Does there perhaps exist a theorem concerning presentations of this type?

Problem 2. Let M be the [tex]\mathbb{C}[x][/tex]-module [tex]\mathbb{C}^{3}[/tex] where [tex]\mathbb{C}[/tex] acts naturally and x acts via [tex]x \cdot a = T \cdot a[/tex], for elements [tex]a \in \mathbb{C}[/tex] and a given linear transformation T. How can one determine all submodules of M?

For this problem less of an idea. I understand that the actions of [tex]\mathbb{C}[/tex] and x induces an action of any complec polynomial, and the submodules are clearily the subspaces of [tex]\mathbb{C}^{3}[/tex] stable under the linear map T. I guess some stable subspaces would be those spanned by eigenvectors for T. Are these all? I haven't thought alot about this, but I'm running out of time, and would thus be very thankful for some help.

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2010 #2
    Because the presentation is pretty nice, it's not too hard to show that you get a group by having elements of the form a^i b^j, i=0,...5, j=0,1 and specifying the multiplication rule. Alternatively, a semi-direct product of Z_3 and Z_4 has that presentation: http://shell.cas.usf.edu/~wclark/algctlg/small_groups.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook