1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problems with Critical Damping and Underdamping

1. Jan 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The concept of damping is new to me and the problems I have seen have had different known values than I see in the equations I have. Here's two I am working on.

1) An automobile suspension is critically damped, and its period of free oscillation with no
    damping is 1s. If the system is initially displaced to a distance x0 and released from rest, find the displacement at t = 1 s.

2) Show that the ratio of two successive maxima in the displacement of an underdamped
    harmonic oscillator is constant.

2. Relevant equations

Critical: x(t) = A e^ (-γ t ) + B e^ (-γ t) where A and B are constants and γ= (2c)/m

Underdamping: x(t) = A0 e ^ (-γt) cos (ω't + θ0)

I honestly don't know if these are the equations I need to find the answers.

3. The attempt at a solution

1. γ=ω0
    = ω0 = √k/m
    I found this Using the equation for the frequency of a spring (without damping)
    ∴ γ = 2π
    If I plug this into the equation I have, I am still left with those constants.... so I must have the wrong approach.

2. I can't think of where to begin on this one... it seems like the variables wouldn't be constant if I set up a ratio like x2/x1

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2013 #2
    1. The equation you have for the solution of a critically damped system in incorrect. What is the correct equation?

2. Just do it: set up the ratio for two successive maxima and see where that gets you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook