Damped harmonic oscillation of a swingboat

In summary, Φ0 = 15° and after solving Φ(t=5*T = 5/f) I found γ = 0.012. I need help with b). If I do 2° = 15° * exp(-0.012t)*cos(2πf*t), I'm not able to find t so I did something else by assuming that the amplitude decreases at a constant rate: After 5*T = 5*1/f = 18.52 s, the amplitude decreases by 3°. So I have 18.52 s --> ΔΦ = 3°. Which means after 1 s the amplitude decreases by 3°/18.52 = 0.162°
orangephysik
Homework Statement
A swingboat with mass m = 130 kg is approximately taken to be a mathematical pendulum with a suspension length l = 3.5 m.
The swingboat undergoes a damped harmonic oscillation after the motor is turned off (at t = 0) with the form Φ(t) = Φ_0 * exp(-γt)*cos(ωt) with a starting amplitude Φ(t=0) = 15° and a frequency of f = 0.27 Hz. The amplitude is reduced to 12° after 5 oscillation periods.

a) Calculate the damping coefficient γ
b) How long does it take until the amplitude reaches 2° ?
Relevant Equations
T = 1/f
Hi,

so of course Φ0 = 15° and after solving after solving Φ(t=5*T = 5/f) I found γ = 0.012
I need help with b).
If I do 2° = 15° * exp(-0.012t)*cos(2πf*t), I'm not able to find t so I did something else by assuming that the amplitude decreases at a constant rate:

After 5*T = 5*1/f = 18.52 s, the amplitude decreases by 3°.
So I have 18.52 s --> ΔΦ = 3°.
Which means after 1 s the amplitude decreases by 3°/18.52 = 0.162°

15° - 0.162°*x = 2° ⇔ x = 80.25
Which means it would take 80.25 s. But if I plug in t = 80.25 s into Φ(t) = Φ_0 * exp(-γt)*cos(ωt) I don't get 2° so my method was wrong.

I would like to ask why my method is wrong and how I could solve this problem. How could I solve the equation 2° = 15° * exp(-0.012t)*cos(2πf*t)? I thought I could use Euler's formula for cos(2πf*t) so that I could write the right hand side of the equation as a single e to the power of something, but it gets me nowhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
Take the amplitude of the oscillation to be given by Φ_0 * exp(-γt). Find the time when this equals 2o.

TSny said:
Take the amplitude of the oscillation to be given by Φ_0 * exp(-γt). Find the time when this equals 2o.
I got t = 167.9 s.
So I guess by omitting the cos term), we only consider the part when the pendulum swings back to its neutral position for the first time (I can see now why my assumption was false). But t =167.9 s doesn't seem right, since it only takes 1/f = 1/(0,27 Hz) = 3.70 s for one Period.
Perhaps I calculated γ wrong?
I did Φ(t=5*T = 5/f) = 15° * exp((-5/f)*γ)*cos(2πf*5/f)
⇔ 12° = 15°*exp((-5/f)*γ)
⇔ ln(12°/15°) = (-5/f)*γ
⇔ γ = 0.0120498
seems correct 🤔

The damping is exponential, not linear.
1679283372318.png

orangephysik said:
I got t = 167.9 s.
So I guess by omitting the cos term), we only consider the part when the pendulum swings back to its neutral position for the first time (I can see now why my assumption was false). But t =167.9 s doesn't seem right, since it only takes 1/f = 1/(0,27 Hz) = 3.70 s for one Period.
Perhaps I calculated γ wrong?
I did Φ(t=5*T = 5/f) = 15° * exp((-5/f)*γ)*cos(2πf*5/f)
⇔ 12° = 15°*exp((-5/f)*γ)
⇔ ln(12°/15°) = (-5/f)*γ
⇔ γ = 0.0120498
seems correct 🤔
I get 167.0, by an easier method.
5 swings attenuates it by the ratio 4/5.
5n swings attenuates it by the ratio (4/5)n=2/15.
##n=\frac{\ln(2/15)}{\ln(4/5)}##.

Likes nasu and TSny
haruspex said:
I get 167.0, by an easier method.
5 swings attenuates it by the ratio 4/5.
5n swings attenuates it by the ratio (4/5)n=2/15.
##n=\frac{\ln(2/15)}{\ln(4/5)}##.
I can't comprehend the logic behind this, could you explain how you did that?

And is 167.0 s the correct answer? :) (Well technically 167.2 s if I plug in the exact values, and I get the same value too if I use the exact value of γ when solving 2=Φ_0 * exp(-γt) ).

orangephysik said:
I can't comprehend the logic behind this, could you explain how you did that?
it is like radioactive decay law. You know, half life and such.

1. What is damped harmonic oscillation?

Damped harmonic oscillation refers to the motion of an object that is subject to a restoring force and a damping force. The restoring force brings the object back to its equilibrium position, while the damping force reduces the amplitude of the oscillations over time.

2. How does a swingboat exhibit damped harmonic oscillation?

A swingboat is a pendulum-like ride that moves back and forth on a pivot. As the boat swings back and forth, it experiences a restoring force due to gravity and a damping force due to air resistance. This combination of forces causes the boat to oscillate with a decreasing amplitude, exhibiting damped harmonic oscillation.

3. What factors affect the damping of a swingboat's oscillations?

The damping of a swingboat's oscillations can be affected by factors such as the size and shape of the boat, the material it is made of, and the air resistance it experiences. Additionally, the length of the pendulum and the angle at which it swings can also impact the damping of the oscillations.

4. How does the damping affect the motion of a swingboat?

The damping force in a swingboat reduces the amplitude of the oscillations, causing the boat to eventually come to a stop. This means that the ride will become less exciting over time as the oscillations become smaller and smaller.

5. Can the damping of a swingboat be adjusted?

Yes, the damping of a swingboat can be adjusted by changing factors such as the shape or material of the boat, or by adding or removing air resistance. This can be done to create a more thrilling or gentle ride experience.