Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Produced bubble in a chemical reaction

1. May 20, 2015 #1
    Hi,
    I have a very interesting but challenging question. Consider any chemical reaction that involves gas production (e.g. H2 gas is produced in KOH etching silicon). As we know, the produced gas will detach from the surface and reaction can continue. What if the gas doesn't detach from the surface and form a thin film? The gas will stop the reaction from continuing!
    So the question is how I can study the volume of the gas produced that stops the reaction? Any materials or concepts that might be relevant?

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. May 26, 2015 #3
    i might guess that young's equation for equilibrium at a triple interface - in this case, solid, liquid, gas, interface, might be helpful
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wetting#Ideal_solid_surfaces
    your case is slightly different than normal but should still be aplicable if you get all the right values for surface tension, etc.
    My guess is that gas is always going to form a bubble, and as long as your surface sizes are large enough (micron) compared to bubble size, the bubbles will escape from the surface due to a lower density (than liquid) before they form a thin film and prevent further reaction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook