Producing required energy from Combusting Methane

In summary, the question is asking how much methane must be burned to produce 6.38x10^6j of energy. The equation for methane combustion is CH4 + 3O2 --> CO2 + 2H2O. The required enthalpy of methane combustion can be calculated from previous data or found in a table.
krayziemuzick

Homework Statement

How much methane, CH4 is must be burned to produce 6.38x10^6j of energy

Homework Equations

CH4 + 3O2 --> CO2 + 2H2O

The Attempt at a Solution

This is actually the second part of a pretty long multi part question. I couldn't find out how to figure out the amount of energy produced by this reaction. In the first part of the question I found how how much energy was required to raise 5.8x10^5 grams of air (specific heat of 1.1 j/(gxC) by 10C. Which is where I get the energy from. Could anyone please guide me as to where to start? I have been looking in my book but have not found anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need enthalpy of methane combustion. It is either given somewhere in the question, or can be calculated from the previous data, or there are tables in your book, where this information is listed.

To calculate the amount of methane needed to produce 6.38x10^6 joules of energy, we first need to determine the amount of energy produced by the combustion of one mole of methane. This can be done by using the enthalpy of formation of methane, which is -74.8 kJ/mol. This means that for every mole of methane combusted, 74.8 kJ of energy is released.

Next, we need to convert the given energy of 6.38x10^6 joules into kJ, which is 6380 kJ. Now, using the conversion factor of 74.8 kJ/mol, we can set up a proportion to find the number of moles of methane needed:

6380 kJ/1 mol = 74.8 kJ/x mol

Cross-multiplying and solving for x, we get:

x = 6380 kJ * 1 mol/74.8 kJ
x = 85.37 moles of methane

Therefore, 85.37 moles of methane must be burned to produce 6.38x10^6 joules of energy. This can also be converted into grams by using the molar mass of methane, which is 16.04 g/mol. This means that the mass of methane needed is 85.37 moles * 16.04 g/mol = 1369.25 grams. So, approximately 1369.25 grams of methane must be burned to produce 6.38x10^6 joules of energy.

1. How is energy produced from combusting methane?

Energy is produced from combusting methane through a chemical reaction where methane (CH4) combines with oxygen (O2) to form carbon dioxide (CO2) and water (H2O) while releasing heat. This heat energy can then be harnessed for various purposes.

2. What is the efficiency of converting methane into energy?

The efficiency of converting methane into energy depends on various factors such as the combustion process, type of equipment used, and the purity of methane. On average, the efficiency ranges from 50-60%, meaning around half of the energy produced from combusting methane is harnessed for use.

3. What are the environmental impacts of producing energy from combusting methane?

Producing energy from combusting methane can have both positive and negative environmental impacts. On one hand, it is a cleaner-burning fuel compared to other fossil fuels, emitting fewer pollutants. However, methane is a potent greenhouse gas, and its production and combustion contribute to climate change.

4. Can methane be produced sustainably for energy production?

Yes, methane can be produced sustainably for energy production through processes such as anaerobic digestion of organic waste, which produces biogas containing methane. This can be a renewable source of energy if the waste materials are continuously replenished.

5. What are the challenges in using methane as an energy source?

One of the main challenges in using methane as an energy source is its flammability and potential safety hazards. Another challenge is the transportation and storage of methane, as it is a gas and requires specialized equipment. There are also concerns about methane leaks during production and transportation, which can contribute to air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions.