1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Methane Combustion and Chemical Equilibrium

1. Nov 21, 2011 #1
    This may belong in the Chemistry section but this is a problem from my Thermodynamics class, so I'll post it here and then move to the Chem section if need be.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Methane (CH4) is the principal constituent of natural gas and is often used to represent natural gas. Consider the operation of a natural gas fired water heater operating with 15% excess air. Assuming the fuel to be CH4 and the products of the reaction to be CO2, H2O, N2, O2 , and CO, calculate the concentration (percent by volume) of each product if the temperature in the products is 1000K.

2. Relevant equations

CH4 + (a)(m)(O2 + 3.76N2 → bCO2 + cH2O + dN2 + eO2 + fCO

2CO2 [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] 2CO + O2

where:
    a=moles for stoichiometric combustion
    m=excess air ratio (1.15 in this case)
    b,c,d,e,f = moles of products

3. The attempt at a solution

To balance equation:

From combustion reaction:
    C: 1 = b+f
    H: 4 = 2; c=2
    O: 2*a*1.15 = c+2e+f
    N: 3.76*1.15*a*2 = 2d

From dissociation reaction:
    2b = 2f + e (2 CO2 makes 2CO and 1O2)

I still only have 5 equations and 6 unknowns.

There is also the equilibrium constant K that we are given a table of:

[URL]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/math/a/e/1/ae1ea56f2e557025e57022730f141861.png[/URL]

[URL]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/math/2/b/1/2b116a1f13940176246dd9e08a0c0be3.png[/URL]

I know how to solve the problem when CO is not created. It becomes a much simpler problem. However, when CO enters the problem, I end up with not enough equations.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2011 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Are you given K value? Look to me like it can be just a stoichiometry problem, where you are to assume reaction proceeded to the end.

Alternatively, the only equilibrium to be taken into account is 2CO + O2 <-> 2CO2

4. Nov 21, 2011 #3
    Yes, we are given a K value. However, we haven't been taught this type of Chemistry yet, so I'm having difficulty solving the K equation.

I know that the equation for 2CO + O2 <-> 2CO2 is used to find concentrations of the substances, but I'm not exactly sure how...

Edit: K = 3.68 x 10^-21

After I set up K = ((Y_CO)^2 x (Y_O2))/ (Y_CO2)^2 I get stuck on solving for the terms. I assume Y_CO2 = 1 because it is the only term on the right side. However, I am unsure on how to find Y_CO and Y_O2.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  5. Nov 22, 2011 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook