Product Rule for Derivatives of Theta and Time Functions

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Ultimâ
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivative Fun
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Ultimâ
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
This is a bit weird, both are functions of theta (and time) ... so I assume the operator is on both ... is it a case of applying the product rule?

[tex] \frac{\delta}{\delta \theta}(\dot{\theta} cos\theta)[/tex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you assuming here that [itex]\delta()/\delta[/itex] is a derivative? I would be more inclined to think it means "total variation".
 
Ultimâ said:
This is a bit weird, both are functions of theta (and time) ... so I assume the operator is on both ... is it a case of applying the product rule?

[tex] \frac{\delta}{\delta \theta}(\dot{\theta} cos\theta)[/tex]

Hi Ultimâ! :smile:

If this is calculus of variations, doesn't [tex]\frac{\delta}{\delta \theta}[/tex] mean that you assume that [tex]\dot{\theta}[/tex] is independent of [tex]\theta[/tex], so that:

[tex]\frac{\delta}{\delta \theta}(\dot{\theta} cos\theta)\,=\,-\dot{\theta} sin\theta[/tex] ? :confused:
 
It would be nice to think it was that simple tiny-tim, but I fear [tex]\dot{\theta}[/tex] is related to changes in [tex]\theta[/tex] even for small variations. HallsofIvy, I'm not familiar with using the total variation approach, but it is part of a Jacobian so I would assume it was a derivative.

I've just posted the full problem here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1731700#post1731700

(I know cross posting is frowned upon, but I was trying split the problem down into simpler components)