Prof. Peter Shor's teaching style is frightening

• Thread starter Haorong Wu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teaching
In summary: But, I believe there are other professors who are more suitable for this class and for QC. Prof Shor just isn't one of them. Oh, I must apologize, if I made any disrespect. I appreciate MIT for those free lessons and those hard work from every professor. But, I believe there are other professors who are more suitable for this class and for QC. Prof Shor just isn't one of them.
Haorong Wu
I'm currently learning quantum computation on edx. I don't mean unrespectable, but Prof Shor is just not suitable for teaching. I guess he maybe a little nervous around students. Anyhow, he is still a great computer scientist.

Science news on Phys.org
The problem here is that some folks are great for cutting edge fields and through their papers teach their colleagues who go on to create more organized content to teach to students.

QC is an exploding field and it’s hard to tell the hype from reality and people are struggling to learn whatever they can and so Prof Shor, a great researcher has attempted to get the ball rolling as the foremost expert in the field. It’s just that these concepts are very hard to master and there’s no machine available to do them on other than the IBM site and perhaps a few others.

Likes fresh_42
jedishrfu said:
The problem here is that some folks are great for cutting edge fields and through their papers teach their colleagues who go on to create more organized content to teach to students.

QC is an exploding field and it’s hard to tell the hype from reality and people are struggling to learn whatever they can and so Prof Shor, a great researcher has attempted to get the ball rolling as the foremost expert in the field. It’s just that these concepts are very hard to master and there’s no machine available to do them on other than the IBM site and perhaps a few others.

I agree. I guess the students could be as confused as I do. I see there were less interaction between students and Shor than with Chuang. Shor jumps too quickly, and I think many may not follow him well. But, anyway, I'm glad I can peak how those genius see those new areas. I mean, I can still get some interesting ideas from Shor's lectures.

Haorong Wu said:
but Prof Shor is just not suitable for teaching.

THat'a pretty harsh, especially since MIT makes this available for free. Are you suggesting they shouldn't?

Vanadium 50 said:
THat'a pretty harsh, especially since MIT makes this available for free. Are you suggesting they shouldn't?

Oh, I must apologize, if I made any disrespect. I appreciate MIT for those free lessons and those hard work from every professor.

1. What makes Prof. Peter Shor's teaching style frightening?

Prof. Peter Shor's teaching style is often perceived as frightening due to its rigorous and challenging nature. He expects a high level of understanding and engagement from his students, which can be intimidating to some.

2. Does Prof. Peter Shor's teaching style benefit students?

While it may be intimidating at first, many students have found that Prof. Peter Shor's teaching style has greatly benefited their learning. His high expectations and challenging assignments push students to reach their full potential and develop a deeper understanding of the subject.

3. Is Prof. Peter Shor's teaching style suitable for all students?

Prof. Peter Shor's teaching style may not be suitable for all students, as it requires a certain level of dedication and effort. Some students may find it too demanding, while others thrive under his guidance and teaching methods.

4. How does Prof. Peter Shor's teaching style compare to other professors?

Compared to other professors, Prof. Peter Shor's teaching style may be seen as more challenging and rigorous. However, his students often praise his ability to effectively convey complex concepts and his commitment to their understanding and success.

5. What can students do to succeed in Prof. Peter Shor's class?

To succeed in Prof. Peter Shor's class, students should come prepared to class, actively participate in discussions, and dedicate time to studying and completing assignments. Seeking help and clarification from the professor or peers can also greatly benefit understanding and success in the class.