Professors never replied to my emails

• Thread starter iacephysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Professors
In summary: They'll be more likely to help you out (maybe even hand your resume to the professor) if you've made the effort to come by.In summary, if you are not receiving responses from professors through email, it may be best to try contacting them in person. You can make an appointment through the department secretary or drop by their office or lab. It's also helpful to talk to their current students for more information. Making the subject of your email attention-grabbing can also increase the chances of getting a response.
iacephysics
I emailed a few professors in my physics department about opportunities for undergrad research in their labs. some of them never responded to my emails. But I am still interested in their researches, should I just go to their office and show up unannounced?

Physics news on Phys.org
At my local community college the instructors (many with Ph.D.'s) always return my eMails with 48 hours. At my local University I probably get a 50% return rate.

I find that meeting them in person is the best way - it also makes you seem more pro-active.

Maybe you should talk to your adviser. They are more likely to respond to his request than yours, especially if you have never been one of their students.

iacephysics said:
I emailed a few professors in my physics department about opportunities for undergrad research in their labs. some of them never responded to my emails. But I am still interested in their researches, should I just go to their office and show up unannounced?

I'd say that you should just go to their offices and ask them directly. Chances are that your email just got buried in their inboxes. If they didn't want you, they'd probably send you emails to that effect.

Actually, I got into my advisor's research group in a similar way. When I got accepted to the graduate school where I currently attend, I wanted to start research the summer before my first year. So I found a group I was interested in, and emailed the professor. After a couple of days he didn't respond, so I emailed another professor in that group. He responded fairly promptly, and informed me that the first professor I emailed was interested in having me work for the group. To this day I'm not sure if my advisor got my email and forgot to respond, or lost my email and heard about me through the second email that I sent to the other professor. You'd think that professors would remember something as important as an email about taking on a new graduate student, but apparently not. So just because these professors haven't responded to you doesn't mean anything. Professors are absent-minded that way.

I always just drop in and ask if they have a minute. If they don't, I come back later. Emails are a crapshoot.

Make the subject of your e-mails: "Funding Approved"
because profs can't resist reading an email that will give them research funds.

makethings said:
Make the subject of your e-mails: "Funding Approved"
because profs can't resist reading an email that will give them research funds.
Haha, that's a good one.

iacephysics said:

I can't guess at why your email was not acknowledged- there can be many reasons, ranging from 'the professor was too busy' to 'your email was poorly written'.

In any event, first try to make an appointment via the department secretary, and if the secretary can't give you any information about the professor's availibility (i.e. when the professor is not teaching a class), then try just showing up.

Another approach is to show up at the lab and talk to the students there.

1. Why do professors never reply to my emails?

There can be a variety of reasons why a professor may not respond to your emails. Some common reasons include a high volume of emails, technical difficulties, or the email being sent to the wrong address. It is also possible that the professor may not have received the email or may be prioritizing other tasks.

2. How long should I wait for a professor to reply to my email?

The length of time it takes for a professor to respond to an email can vary. It is generally recommended to wait at least a week before following up. However, if the matter is urgent, it may be appropriate to send a follow-up email after a few days.

3. Is it appropriate to send multiple emails to a professor if they don't reply?

It is generally not recommended to send multiple emails to a professor if they do not respond. This can be seen as pushy or disrespectful. Instead, try to find alternative ways to contact the professor, such as through their office hours or through a departmental assistant.

4. What is the best way to phrase an email to ensure a response from a professor?

When writing an email to a professor, it is important to be clear, concise, and respectful. Make sure to include a clear subject line and to clearly state the purpose of your email. It can also be helpful to address the professor by their preferred title and to use proper grammar and spelling.

5. How can I increase the chances of getting a response from a professor?

One way to increase the chances of getting a response from a professor is to make sure you are following proper email etiquette. This includes using a clear subject line, being respectful and professional in your tone, and avoiding sending multiple emails or spamming the professor. It can also be helpful to make sure you are emailing the correct address and to follow up in a timely and appropriate manner.