1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Professorship: how to balance all your duties.

1. May 30, 2013 #1

Rolen

Gold Member

We all know that a professor has many attributions such as teaching, administrative stuff and of course research.
    But, how you and your colleges deal with this? I've seen a lot of professors that find teaching very rewarding while other neglect the teaching part and just focus on research. I'm not saying here that one part is more important than the other, no, that's not the focus of this thread, but just what you think about this, you prefer teaching and advising or you prefer do your research?

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2013 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Balancing my time is critically important, as award of tenure is based on a workload of 50% teaching, 50% research/scholarship, and 10% service (that's not a typo). Personally, while I enjoy teaching, I would rather spend time in my lab- this is my motivation to maintain grant funding.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook