Program to solve for a formula given a set of pairs of points?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
zeion
Messages
455
Reaction score
1
Hi,

I'm look for a program that can solve for a general function when given a set of pairs of points?
Does anything like that exist?

Thanks.
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
This doesn't exist, because there are infinitely many functions that can fit any given set of points. Is there any particular kind of function you think the points are supposed to look like? Least squares polynomial fitting is the most common type of data fitting to a function
 
Basically...
I'm looking at a music synthesizer program that converts frequency of notes into a hexadecimal representation that the program reads and plays, and I'm trying to get it to play my custom songs, but I can't figure out how it's doing that conversion.