Programming for Electrical Engineers

In summary, for electrical engineers, it is important to have a working knowledge in a high level programming language. The most useful languages for EE's are C++ and Fortran, with Matlab being the most important one to know in school. While being "well-versed" in a language may not be necessary, having a working knowledge is important. MATLAB is similar to C/C++ and learning either of those would be beneficial. Python is also a useful language to know, particularly for mathematical methods. Additionally, having some knowledge of assembly, Java, and Fortran can be useful depending on the application. Once one becomes comfortable with programming, learning new languages becomes easier.
Ryuk1990
I've always been told that an electrical engineer should be well-versed in a high level programming language. Which would be the most useful? C++?

Physics news on Phys.org
Most of the EE's I know, have a working knowledge in either C++ or Fortran

Matlab is the most important one to know at my school. My probability class, my signals and system class, my pattern classification class, and many other classes use/used MATLAB projects.

Now, saying you need to be 'well-versed' is just ridiculous. You need to have a working knowledge, but it's not as if you need to code as expertly as a computer scientist. To put things in perspective, I had to take only one c++ course, which finished barely discussing what a class was.

MATLAB seems to be the standard, it programs very much like C/C++ so you'd be well served to learn either of those, I'm also in the process of teaching myself Python, which I found easier to work with than the more conventional languages, but if you need mathematical methods MATLAB is your friend.

Some basic assembly knowledge is really useful in addition to c++, matlab/simulink, python, fortran, java, etc... It really depends on the application, but if you want some starting languages, go for c/c++ and Matlab first. Learning different languages becomes relatively easier once you get really accustomed to programming.

1. What is programming for electrical engineers?

Programming for electrical engineers is the use of computer programming languages to design, develop, and test electrical systems and components. It involves writing code that controls the behavior of electronic devices, such as microcontrollers, sensors, and motors.

2. Why is programming important for electrical engineers?

Programming is important for electrical engineers because it allows them to automate and control complex electrical systems, making them more efficient and reliable. It also enables engineers to analyze and interpret data from sensors and other electronic components, leading to better designs and troubleshooting capabilities.

3. Which programming languages are commonly used by electrical engineers?

The most commonly used programming languages by electrical engineers include C/C++, Python, MATLAB, and Verilog. These languages are versatile and have a wide range of applications in the field of electrical engineering.

4. Is prior programming experience necessary for electrical engineers?

Prior programming experience is not necessary for electrical engineers, but it can be beneficial. Many universities and colleges offer programming courses as part of their electrical engineering curriculum. However, with dedication and practice, anyone can learn programming for electrical engineering.

5. What are some examples of projects that can be completed using programming for electrical engineers?

There are many projects that can be completed using programming for electrical engineers. Some examples include designing and programming a microcontroller-based temperature control system, developing a circuit simulator using MATLAB, or creating a robot using C++ and sensors. The possibilities are endless and depend on the engineer's interests and goals.