1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Progressions and series prove this

1. Nov 22, 2012 #1

utkarshakash

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If [itex]x_1,x_2,x_3.......x_n[/itex] are in H.P. then prove that [itex]x_1x_2+x_2x_3+x_3x_4...........+x_{n-1}x_n=(n-1)x_1x_n[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since [itex]x_1,x_2,x_3.......x_n[/itex] are in H.P. therefore
    [itex] \frac{1}{x_1},\frac{1}{x_2},\frac{1}{x_3}..........,\frac{1}{x_n}[/itex] will be in A.P. Now common difference of this A.P.
    [itex]d=\dfrac{\frac{1}{x_n}-\frac{1}{x_1}}{n-1} \\
    x_1x_n=\dfrac{x_1-x_n}{d(n-1)}\\
    (n-1)x_1x_n=\dfrac{x_1-x_n}{d} [/itex]

Looks like I've arrived at the R.H.S. But what about LHS?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2012 #2
    This the second one of your problems I've worked on. Just so you know, you need to write out your acronyms. No one has ANY clue what you mean if you don't do it. I was tempted to write something about Hewlett-Packard. :tongue2:

Alright. [itex]x_1x_2+x_2x_3+x_3x_4+...+x_{n-1}x_{n}[/itex] is the same thing as saying [itex]x_{1}(\frac{x_{1}}{1+d}) + (\frac{x_{1}}{1+d})(\frac{x_{1}}{1+2d})+...+(\frac{x_{1}}{1+(n-2)})(\frac{x_{1}}{1+(n-1)})[/itex].

You can probably figure it out from here. :wink:

4. Nov 22, 2012 #3

utkarshakash

Gold Member

Hey, do you see my title. It says 'Progressions and series prove this'? And I don't understand how can you relate Hewlett-Packard with progressions and series?:confused:It's not even a mathematical term. OK I will do expand my acronyms in future.

Returning to my problem I did not understand how did you write [itex]x_2=\dfrac{x_1}{1+d}[/itex] and so on.

5. Nov 22, 2012 #4

utkarshakash

Gold Member

I get [itex]x_2=\dfrac{x_1}{1+x_1d}[/itex] Looks like you missed the x1 in each of your denominator.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  6. Nov 22, 2012 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hint: if
    [tex]\frac{1}{x_i} - \frac{1}{x_{i+1}} = r [/tex] for i = 1,2, ..., n-1 we have
    [tex]x_2 - x_1 = r x_1 x_2, \: x_3 - x_2 = r \, x_2 x_3, \ldots .[/tex] What does that give you?

RGV

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  7. Nov 22, 2012 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You know that d = 1/x2-1/x1, right? So what does that turn into for x1x2?

8. Nov 23, 2012 #7

utkarshakash

Gold Member

Thanks. It solved my problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook