Project on Alcohols: Chemistry & Info

In summary, a student is seeking help for a project on alcohols due tomorrow. They are struggling to find strictly chemistry-related information and are especially interested in the differences between primary, secondary, and tertiary alcohols. They are having difficulty filtering out information about drinking alcohol. Suggestions are made to start with Wikipedia or an introductory organic chemistry textbook. The conversation also touches on procrastination and the importance of starting work on projects earlier.
d.tran103
Hi everybody. I'm doing a project on alcohols that's due tomorrow. I'm really getting into it today. I was wondering if anybody had good links for information about alcohol. Everything I search keeps bringing up drinking alcohol. Even though my focus is on ethanol, I don't want my project to look like a health project. I want my stuff to be strictly chemistry related. Does anybody have any good ideas? Also, does anybody know what the differences between the three groups of alcohols are (primary, secondary, and tertiary)? I know it has to do with the location of the -OH group, but what's so important about its location? Are there different chemical properties, etc. for these groups? I'm having trouble filtering chemistry related information and drinking information online. Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org

Starting with wikipedia should help.

Starting with reading the chapter on alcohols in any introductory organic chemistry textbook would be an even better idea.

Project due tomorrow? Start working on it the day before? Asking online for help at the last minute?

Start drinking... it's the best teacher. While you are getting soused, review the definition of "procrastinate" and contemplate your future.

chemisttree said:
Project due tomorrow? Start working on it the day before? Asking online for help at the last minute?

Start drinking... it's the best teacher. While you are getting soused, review the definition of "procrastinate" and contemplate your future.

I love you... take me. :rofl:

1. What are alcohols and how are they different from other organic compounds?

Alcohols are organic compounds that contain a hydroxyl (-OH) functional group bonded to a carbon atom. They are classified as primary, secondary, or tertiary depending on the number of carbon atoms bonded to the carbon atom with the -OH group. Alcohols are different from other organic compounds because of the presence of the hydroxyl group, which gives them unique physical and chemical properties.

2. What is the chemical structure of alcohols?

The general chemical formula for alcohols is CnH2n+1OH, where n represents the number of carbon atoms in the molecule. The -OH group is always attached to a saturated carbon atom, and the other bonds can be single or double depending on the type of alcohol.

3. How are alcohols produced?

Alcohols can be produced through various methods such as fermentation, hydration of alkenes, and reduction of carbonyl compounds. In fermentation, sugars are converted into ethanol by yeast. Alkenes can be reacted with water in the presence of an acid catalyst to produce alcohols. Carbonyl compounds, such as aldehydes and ketones, can be reduced using reducing agents like sodium borohydride to form alcohols.

4. What are some common uses of alcohols?

Alcohols have a wide range of uses in various industries, including as solvents, fuels, and raw materials for the production of other chemicals. Ethanol, the most common alcohol, is used as a fuel additive and in the production of alcoholic beverages. Methanol is used as a solvent and in the production of formaldehyde and other chemicals. Isopropyl alcohol is commonly used as a disinfectant and antiseptic.

5. What are the potential health effects of consuming alcohol?

Alcohol consumption can have both short-term and long-term health effects. In the short term, it can impair cognitive and motor functions, leading to decreased coordination and decision-making abilities. Long-term, excessive alcohol consumption can lead to liver damage, heart disease, and other health problems. It is important to consume alcohol in moderation and to be aware of the potential risks and consequences.